SSI Perfect Buoyancy course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbsnyder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Quick question. Are there course materials (i.e. Manual or DVD) for the SSI Perfect Buoyancy Specialty course? What are the requirements to complete the course?

db-

There is a small manual to read..and a dvd which is the same content as the written...the meat of the course entails understanding...bouyancy control..how it affects your diving..and how important it REALLY is in ALL facets of diving. Good bouyancy control not only protects the environment we dive in..but also has a huge impact on your comfort, task loading, air consumption..to name a few. You WILL learn to properly weight during the class...

Its a great class..IF...your ready. don't do it right out of O/W...get some dives in, and get familier with your gear and settle down alittle bit. THAN..bouyancy specialtys REALLY help..Just my .02.

Thanks for the info! Yes we are planning to get a number of dives in prior to taking the class. My wife just got a new BC so she needs some time to get used to it as well.

Perfect Buoyancy is probably one of my favorite classes to teach. I have helped some divers fresh out of Open Water & I have even helped some that have been diving for years & thought they were good at buoyancy,... until I showed them how buoyancy, proper weighting & trim all go hand in hand to make for a more comfortable dive. A few things to keep in mind about the class, 1. the instructor can not feel buoyancy for you,... He/she can give you pointers & can tell when things start coming together, but they can not feel the moment when you start becoming neutrally buoyant... It is rather like an "ah ha!" type moment. 2. Go to the class with an open mind & be aware,... if you get frustrated or upset, that will affect your breathing,... thus also your overall buoyancy. Go to the class with a sense of fun,.. it will make things go so much easier. I have games & little challenges for my students to practice with, so that they can practice, without realizing that they are practicing. Have fun & enjoy your class!

Thanks Tammy. We can't wait to get back onto the water and continue to work on buoyancy. I'm lucky to have great instructors at our LDS!

Thanks Tammy. We can't wait to get back onto the water and continue to work on buoyancy. I'm lucky to have great instructors at our LDS!

I just completed a skills workshop for Trim, Propulsion and Buoyancy. Tammy is right about the "ah ha" moment. It is a feeling of being free, floating motionless without moving your hands and arms. It is that moment when you realize that what you have been doing all along sucked and now you can move through the water without the worry of crashing into the bottom or some other object you don't want to hit. It is being able to control your depth by breathing while navigating obstacles. It is an absolutely awesome feeling. I love it. Also, keep in mind, the instructor can make or break the class. I have been in a class with a lousy instructor and a good instructor and you can really tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom