Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimrundive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Curious... is there a sort of thing as waiting 5 years before allowing a student folder to leave the shop or is that just plain BS?

I seem to be finding more and more bs'ers in local dive shops over trivial things nevermind asking them for dive courses so I have been very wary. I figured to ask those in the know whats up

they own the folder , but what i do is say im the certifying instructor i need a COPY of the releases because god forbid something happens 3 years down the road and your shops gone im sol .....

what he said, they hold the records as reference for them in case something happens so they have proof of your training. Asking for a copy of it is perfectly reasonable but I've never seen the shops give the folders to their students. SSI may have specific rules for or against it, but it's really just a CYOA policy for the instructors.

Whoever signs the cards should hold the folder. This is because the signee is the one most likely to be named in a legal case. The exception, of course, would be if you are acting as an agent for a shop, in which case you should both carry copies.

Most compliance recommendations today are based around standards similar to HIPAA, basically 7 years after last visit and age 21. That's a bit of a hassle to me so I just keep it a straight 7 years. If anyone wants a copy, they are entitled to them. They are not entitled to them for free and charges may be applied.

Frankly, no real value in it for the certified party. You have the card.

Thank you gentlemen! Nice to know it's just a CYOA procedure.

After dealing with a couple of questionable shops I just wanted to make sure. Thank you!

Strictly from a HIPAA standard. The medical release is protected non public information. I would be very wary about keeping records at home. No one that does not need access should have access. That means they must be locked. If you have anyone that lives with you they can not have access. If you lose one or know someone breached the files you are required to notify all of the people that had files.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2015 at 08:47 PM ----------

Big legal risk to hold the files too.

A Medical release is not protected by the HIPAA standard as it is not considered Protected Health Information. It falls under an exclusion provided for employers and education.

*** That said, A smart person would still keep the records private!!

Strictly from a HIPAA standard...

HIPAA only applies to:
- Healthcare providers
- Health plans
- Healthcare data processors

Not dive shops.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2015 at 12:03 AM ----------

A Medical release is not protected by the HIPAA standard as it is not considered Protected Health Information. It falls under an exclusion provided for employers and education.

There is no "exclusion provided for employers and education" nor is there a need for one because...

HIPAA only applies to:
- Healthcare providers
- Health plans
- Healthcare data processors

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom