Rammasun targets Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
As many as they get there, they'll probably just get out umbrellas for a Cat-1. From Rammasun 2014: Tracking Map | Weather Underground

wp201409.gif

But the storm known as Glenda in the Philippines landed as a Cat-3! :eek: Now expected to make Cat-4 before hitting China's Hainanisland.

It's a rough day here. The storm eye passed over Manila, then very close over Subic. Winds were horrific... my neighbor lost part of his roof. Trees down everywhere. Reports of severe flooding in my province. I've also read it intensified to a Cat 3 (185kph/115mph wind) on making landfall.

It's a rough day here. The storm eye passed over Manila, then very close over Subic. Winds were horrific... my neighbor lost part of his roof. Trees down everywhere. Reports of severe flooding in my province. I've also read it intensified to a Cat 3 (185kph/115mph wind) on making landfall.

Wow! That must be a rather scary experience. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to witness a 115mph wind! Take care!

Wow! That must be a rather scary experience. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to witness a 115mph wind! Take care!

Move to Louisiana & you might get the opportunity to...... Seriously, hope all make it thru the storm OK---

Move to Louisiana & you might get the opportunity to...... Seriously, hope all make it thru the storm OK---

Well now that I am thinking about it I did have a little taste of what it would be like to witness an "apocalyptic" storm. Last September while driving to Niagara Falls in Upstate New York I went through what looked like a super cell. It was the scariest storm experience I had ever had. I am very grateful that a twister did not develop from that storm and I am still here to tell the story. As you mentioned I hope everybody in the Philippines survived. Strange that I did not read anything about it in the news.

[video=youtube;n5u0tyjHsrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5u0tyjHsrs[/video]

Last edited:
The death toll was somewhere above 30 - mostly from falling trees, structures or flying debris. My neighbour's roof came off...and one of the local bars (bamboo/wood) was totaled, a big tree came down narrowly missing my friend's house.

We get, on average, 20 typhoons (Cat1 +) a year, so this is just the first of the season. Everything goes back to normal within 2 days... (the exception being Yolanda). The same for diving... I only had to cancel/postpone class for 2 days (got the tech theory classes out of the way instead).

The death toll was somewhere above 30 - mostly from falling trees, structures or flying debris. My neighbour's roof came off...and one of the local bars (bamboo/wood) was totaled, a big tree came down narrowly missing my friend's house.

We get, on average, 20 typhoons (Cat1 +) a year, so this is just the first of the season. Everything goes back to normal within 2 days... (the exception being Yolanda). The same for diving... I only had to cancel/postpone class for 2 days (got the tech theory classes out of the way instead).

20 typhoons? That sounds a lot! Sorry to read about the 30+ victims. Do people have underground shelters or they take refuge inside modern sturdy buildings? I wonder if you own a dive shop, boat etc. Do you have insurance or do you budget for the possible loss of those assets?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom