difference in sl960 and sl960d

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

attchoum

Registered
Reaction score
HI

I dont really understand the difference bettew thos flash. I bring my canon to my scuba shop and plug sl960 on and it work perfectly.

anyone know the difference??

etienne

attchoum:
HI

I dont really understand the difference betwen those flash. I bring my canon to my scuba shop and plug sl960 on and it work perfectly.

anyone know the difference??

etienne
bonjour etienne,
I believe that the sl960d is programmable so that it will ignore preflashes. These can be redeye flashes, etc.
The 960 will trigger on the first flash and the 960D will trigger on the 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th, depending on what position you have the switch.
I found out that if you have the camera in Manual mode, it will probably have no pre-flashes and therefore you can probably use either one. I have a 960D that I have set to trigger on the first flash because I always have my Canon camera (S1 IS) in manual mode.
I probably spent extra $$ on something I didn't need, but it may be useful with another camera that works differently.
au revoir et bon chance

thx for your help it's clear

last year i got a s1is and i love it... but i flood it. Canon give me a sd700 totaly free that cool from canon but the camera is deceving.

The 960D should work with all digital cameras that have a preflash. All new cameras have this invisible pre-flash which will trigger the regular 960sl. So unless your camera has a feature which allows you to manually control the output of your internal strobe (a lot of point and shoots do not) then you'll need the 960D.

I felt I should add here that the pre-flash setting is not the only difference. For me (because I use a Canon in manual mode...so no preflash) the most important difference is that with the 960D the flash intensity (or Guide Number) can be changed by a dial on the back while at depth...I believe that the 960 does NOT have this feature. This feature allows you to dial in the proper guide number for each exposure (mostly by trial and error, but the learning curve is fairly short), and really dial it down, say, for macro photography where a full 20 Guide Number from 6 inches away would blow out most everything...even at 50 ISO and f/8.

Anyway, I just wanted to add this so someone doesn't go out and buy the cheaper 960 because they thought they weren't giving anything up; they are.

Bill~

billwil:
I felt I should add here that the pre-flash setting is not the only difference. For me (because I use a Canon in manual mode...so no preflash) the most important difference is that with the 960D the flash intensity (or Guide Number) can be changed by a dial on the back while at depth...I believe that the 960 does NOT have this feature. This feature allows you to dial in the proper guide number for each exposure (mostly by trial and error, but the learning curve is fairly short), and really dial it down, say, for macro photography where a full 20 Guide Number from 6 inches away would blow out most everything...even at 50 ISO and f/8.

Anyway, I just wanted to add this so someone doesn't go out and buy the cheaper 960 because they thought they weren't giving anything up; they are.

Bill~
Very good pooint Bill.
If that indeed is not on the 960 model it woud be a big factor. I find that feature extremely handy!

ce4jesus:
The 960D should work with all digital cameras that have a preflash. All new cameras have this invisible pre-flash which will trigger the regular 960sl. So unless your camera has a feature which allows you to manually control the output of your internal strobe (a lot of point and shoots do not) then you'll need the 960D.

The preflash is visible to the eye not invisible.

ce4jesus:

The preflash is visible to the eye not invisible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom