Help with Inon Z-240

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walkerl

Registered
Reaction score
I just got my new Z240 in the mail and open it up to realize the instructions are in Japanese. Sweet! I don't even have the optical cable yet, but I plan on ordering the W9 from Inon to use with my A640. The controls seem fairly straightforward and I've read some stuff on this and other forums, but one thing that I can't figure out is what that little plastic ring is on the front of the strobe. It's under the word Inon on the bottom right on the front and you can move it between 2 positions, lined up with a circle or not lined up with it. What is this thing? Also, does anyone out there have any basic suggestions as far as how to use this thing. I know this is kind of a big question so I'm not expecting any lengthy answers, but if anyone knows something that I definitely should NOT do, or how to get my hands on a manual, I'd greatly appreciate it. And does anyone use the red sticker over the focus light or the diffusion plates?

Aloha and mahalo,
Walker

Ahhh. That little switch increases the output by 0.5 f-stops. This is for when you put a 0.5 diffuser on the strobe. Anyway, PM me your email address. I should be able to email u a pdf copy of the manual to you.

I keep the thinnest diffuser on my strobes at all times. The red filter is good if you use the light on night dives (I don't...I use a separate focus light).

I thought that the little switch that you were describing did nothing on the Z240. I thought that it was a carry over fron the Z220 where it was a laser aiming light. I ASSumed that they used the same strobe housing and it was just a carry over with no use. I will check into it tomorrow.

Dave

Ahhh. That little switch increases the output by 0.5 f-stops. This is for when you put a 0.5 diffuser on the strobe. Anyway, PM me your email address. I should be able to email u a pdf copy of the manual to you.

Yes, this is the correct answer - my D2000 has the same thing.

Z...

Mattari, thanks for the tip, but I tried downloading a lot of those things and unfortunately, Inon only offers a 2 page "quick start" which is pretty junk. I'll email them to see if they have anything more substantial, but as of now all those additional downloads are pretty worthless. But again, thanks for the help.

Aloha,
Walker

but one thing that I can't figure out is what that little plastic ring is on the front of the strobe. It's under the word Inon on the bottom right on the front and you can move it between 2 positions, lined up with a circle or not lined up with it. What is this thing?
This control is only used when using the strobe in Auto mode, it has no effect on strobe output in manual or sTTL mode. In Auto mode the strobe figures out what flash output to use based on what aperture you have dialled in on the back of the strobe, ie the camera is not controlling the strobe. The little ring allows you to fine tune the setting on the back of the strobe by half a stop by putting a half stop neutral density filter over the flash sensor built into the front of the strobe. I would avoid using Auto mode and either go with sTTL (where the camera calculates the exposure) or Manual mode (where your brain calculates the exposure), you'll get much better results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom