Beginner strobe w/focus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FritzCat66

Florida Reef Cat
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - I've been taking pics for some time with my rinky-dink little Pentax Optio S5i in the factory housing because I am operating on a tight budget.

I would like to start expanding first by adding a strobe, but having some trouble finding something to meet all my parameters:

1) Sub-$500 (although I don't mind if it's used)
2) Fibre-triggered (I have the Sea & Sea mask for the Pentax housing which gives me a fibre socket over the covered internal flash)
3) Compatible with pre-flashes (can't turn them off on the Pentax)
4) Absolutely must have a focus light (aka target light, modelling light)
4) Hopefully something I can keep around and useful as I expand to double strobes & newer/better cameras/housings/lenses/ports

I know, tall order. Any advice? The S&S YS-110a looks like it would fit the bill but for the cost.

I'll also be needing a mount & arm for this...

Try the new S&S YS-01. I think it covers all the items on your list. I just got one in this week, and on land so far I like it with my G11. The DS-TTL seems to work very well, and in manual it's selectable for either pre-flash or not. It's fairly compact, and has the focus light built in. Fast recharge time. Can't wait to hit the water with it. Has an output trigger port for a second strobe if you later want to add one.

It's available quite a few places for $429.00 (or less if you can do a discount somewhere). It doesn't come with an arm at that price, but you can get a basic arm/tray from Jack Connick over at OceanOpticalSales.com for a little over $100 if you need one. Fiber optic cable from Jack is around $30, at least the one I ordered was. I think Jack has the YS-01 as well, you might be able to get everything from him all at once. The arm setup I ordered from Jack just arrived via FedEx as I was typing this message :wink:.

I love the Inon S-2000. It doesn't have a focus light, but there are ways around that. I'm new to photography, but what I have learned from pros is you should never have your strobes pointed directly at your subjects, which means any built in focus light won't be aimed at your subjects either. I've seen a low power LED back-up light just wire-tied to the tray that worked great as a focus light. Something to consider at least.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Inon S-2000 as well. I considered both it and the YS-01 and it was very close decision as to which I decided to get, but in the end due to a great deal I was able to get I went with the YS-01. I'll take it out this weekend when I hit the Sea of Cortez for a week and should know more about it when I get back. I already like it much more than my old budget ISS-2000, if for nothing more than the much faster recycle time and smaller size. And so far on land the DS-TTL seems to be right on the money with my G11, but I'll wait to see how well it handles underwater before saying much more on that. It should be fun.

The guys at Reef Photo fixed me up with a focus light that mounts on the housing. It is designed to turn itself off when the strobe flashes so you don't get a hotspot in your photo. It was not very expensive. You might look at that instead of one in the strobe.

Thanks, all! I was unaware of the YS-01, looks like it might be perfect for my current needs. I also did not know about Reef Photo in Lauderdale - easy enough for me to take my Pentax there next time I'm diving the area and take a first-hand look at my options.

i have been trying to post on classifieds but is says i cant because of anti spam.....how do i make a new post?

Just got back from my trip to the Sea of Cortez and I was very happy with the YS-01. It worked great, the DS-TTL exposure was spot on with my Canon G11. The focus light was enough that at night I could use it easily to not only focus on things but to even locate them in some cases. For the price I'm not sure there is anything out there that can come close.

Thanks for that, Lee - The Inon looks great, too, but it's a little bigger and a little more expensive, so for my first strobe, the YS-01 looks like the way I will go.

So, the other thing I will need is a tray and arms for my Pentax. Sea & Sea has a package with their #SS-22107 that seems compact and attractive. There are larger ones with longer, more articulate arms, but for this tiny camera they seem way out of proportion, I'm thinking I can worry about a nicer tray, grip, & arms when I upgrade the camera itself.

Thoughts & advice?

Back
Top Bottom