Sola 600/1200 lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okidoki

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there,

Today I have been introduced to the Sola 600 and it looks pretty cool I am interested what divers have experienced using these lights for UW photo/videography.

Cheers

As a focus light the 600 is killer. As a video light not so much, but a pair of 1200s are very cool for video.
Bill

Cheers Bill,

I actually wanted to use it instead of a strobe for my Canon G10

I had bought the Sola600 before the 1200 was available. Now I have both.
They are VERY compact indeed so a charm to use.
If you plan video the 1200 (a couple) do work fairly well. The 1200 has a slight wider pattern and better color temp. For night diving even a single 600 will let you shoot ad to filming but it has the nice red led feature so you can get closer to some critters without terrorizing them...
The 1200 work also better as a night dive light in the flood mode. Maybe you buy one and if you like it you add the second one... They are enough powerful that 2 of them will let you get aways from using strobes for short distances... eliminating some of the strobe guess.

But you may also expect better and better lights coming out... If you want to do serious videos you need much more powerful lights though.

Cheers
Andrea

Well I bought today the Sola 600 and will use it for mainly photography in the Philippines next month and will share my verdict.

Cheers

Well I bought today the Sola 600 and will use it for mainly photography in the Philippines next month and will share my verdict.

Cheers

Did you say earlier without a strobe---ie using for photography??...

Hi Diver 85,

Yes I will be using the Sola 600 instead of a strobe.

cheers

Good luck, I have never been able to get really nice pics using only video lighting but maybe your camera is better at low light.
Bill

I've tried shooting with a dive light before. It doesn't work very well because the strobe freezes the action. Unless you shoot at high ISO and speed the shutter quite a bit, you're likely to get blur if your lighting level is good.

we've been using the Sola 600 and 1200 alot recently. There are unbelieveable. we have both lights in stock if anyone needs one.

Here's a couple macro shots from the other week with a Sola 1200, no strobe. Photos are jpegs straight out of the camera.

1226816362_5vAro-M.jpg

1226816359_GCjDP-M.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom