Light & Motion Solas 500 or 600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Layla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for a focus/ video light for my S95, I already have two S2000

Having seen 2 x Solas 500 being used on a guides video camera, I thought they were rather good

Having Googled around I see the Solas 500 @ 379$, Solas 600 @ 579$, Solas 1200 out of my price range

Is there much difference between the 500 and the 600 to warrant the 200$ price difference

Thanks

Layla

I picked up a Sola 600 about a year ago. The price staggered me but what it offered was so attractive. I got a chance to put it through the wringer on a Belize liveaboard trip. The 600 is a great video light, and I'd love two of them. what made it worth it and the envy of the boat was its size, power and oh, that red light on night dives!

Now, you obviously don't want to video with the red light on but as a focus light it's awesome because it doesn't scare stuff away, it doesn't show up at all in pictures as it's overpowered by your strobe and it makes critters eyes glow red so the inverts are easier to spot. Not to mention your buddy always knows where you are by the red light. It's plenty powerful, perhaps too much but more recent versions have the same 3 level lumen output as the white light I believe.

Is that and the extra 100 lumens worth $200? That's up to you, but I love the 600!

Light and Motion has just made some adjustments to the lights. The new Sola 800 Photo light is now only $499, and its now 800 lumens! So they will definitely be a noticeable increase from the 500. Are you looking to use these for shooting video with your S95 or only as a focus light/dive light?

Thanks Byye Me/ Hollywood

Yes, the red light is something I like, altho, I can probably put a filter on myself

I didn't know about the 800, not that sounds interesting ... I'll see what I can find on Google

I do stills right now, but would like to try video
so, was hoping for a light which will cover both

Have a good day

L

The 800 was just changed on their site, likely due to the DEMA show going on this week. We have yet to add it to our websites, but will be doing so by the end of the weekend. 800 lumens lights will definitely work for both photo and video on an S95.

Ah, I'll keep an eye out on your site ... thanks :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom