Strobe and Focus Light Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFScuba

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there, newbie question regarding lighting for my current camera. I have a Canon A520 with stock factory housing. So far, I have had some luck adjusting the settings, getting close to subjects, and using the factory flash. I feel that my composition is decent, but I'm limited depending on the ambient light conditions.

I'm looking to increase my "hit rate" on good photos by improving the lighting. I have been researching different threads and sites on the internet and found an alternative I had not considered, using "focus lights" as an inexpensive alternative to strobes (as cheap as $100 with light and tray for a 44LED). I realize this would still be for up close shots and probably smaller subjects. However, it sounds like it would be an improvement from my current setup. Any opinions or experience?

I have looked at strobes, but the price range is large. Three that I have seen are:

• Fantasea CoolFlash Nano setup (Flash, tray, arm) for about $200 after shipping.
  • SeaLife SL-960D setup (Flash, tray, arm) for about $280
  • Inon D2000 for $500+

My price range is less than $300, so that rules out the Inon, though it has gotten a lot of recommendations. I have not found many posts here on the SeaLife or Fantasea options. $280 is still a lot for me, seeing as I only dive an average of twice a year.

So basically to sum it up, yes, I'm cheap :wink: Long story short - will I get any significant improvement using a focus light (specifically the 44LED) and is the CoolFlash worth the investment/ a lot better?

Thanks all!

I don't think you'll find any significant improvement using a hand light of any flavor in place of a flash. They just don't put out anything like the kind of light you get with a strobe. Take a look at Ikelite DS50/51 strobes or maybe the lower level Inon or Sea & Sea strobes as a first step. I have read a few reports on the Sealife/Epoque flashes (all the same flash). They can work, but my buddy had one that failed on the first dive, so ... A good flash will change your photography significantly even on a P&S camera.

Last summer I got the 960d and used it with my little PnS and it made a big difference.

This summer I got the D2000 for my newer/better PnS and it is fantastic.

I loaned the 960d to a friend a few weeks ago and she was very pleased.

The take away -- the 960d will work and is pretty cheap and reliable -- although its refresh rate is painfully slow. AND, an external strobe will be a huge improvement over the internal flash.

Flashlights like the LED44 don't work well for main lights for photos. Even very bright HIDs. Yes, you'll get shots, but they will lack the color saturation and crisp brightness of strobes, your photos will be soft looking. You also will have to shoot at much slower shutter speeds so blurs will occur.

But they do help all cameras achieve focus much better, faster and help you frame your shots.

I've just lowered the price on the Nano Set 2 of Nano strobe (GN 12), optical sync cord, aluminum B&J arm set for the strobe, LED44, flex arm and XL double aluminum tray now for only $314 (+ shipping), really an outstanding package for all smaller P&S cameras for fish portraits and macro.

As always, I'll help with advice for setting up your system to get the most from your shots.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom