Problem with blackening the internal flash, Canon S95 and Inon S-2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys,

I am currently on Bohol Philippines and am trying to take the best possible pics with my new S-2000 together with my S95.

However I am coming across 2 problems:

1. The manual of the S-2000 seems to have been translated from Japanese to English with babelfish or so. Sometimes it doesn't make sense.
My specific prob is that then manual tell the following: If I want to use my camera in Av or Tv mode for example, I should set the Inon to S-TTL for automatic exposure. So far so good. As far as I understood the S95 does R-TTL (realtime TTL), because it doesn't use a pre-flash. For R-TTL cameras the manual says to adjust the Ev knov to the 9 o clock position for full TTL. But this gives me constantly overexposed pictures, so that I assume it is not doing TTL, but S-TLL with the highest power setting of the flash. What am I misunderstanding and how should I set the Ev know to have decent automatic exposure?

2. I would like to block the internal flash better and tried to place a piece of foto film on the flash. Now I was surprised that, given the settings are completely the same as before (on Cam: Tv, forced flash, rest automatic; on flash: S-TTL, Ev know on TLL or 12 o clock position), the pics become way overexposed. Not just a bit brioght but almost completely white, so that you cannot even the anything on the pic. How can that be and what should I do to block the internal flash?

Thanks a lot for quick help!

Regards
PHil

How are you connecting the S2000 to the cameras and what housing have you got?

The wireless only works with the Inon base or shoe otherwise the mirrors might not work, so it does not read the light or reads very little and beams up the whole thing

With the canon housing and AD mount if you don't have the mirror system in order to have a completely useful set up you should get the Inon Optical D Cable Type L/Cap W51 Set, that kit contains a full set of tools (internal strobe mask, black panel to replace the mound diffuser etc) only with that you have full compatibility

I can't help with all of your question but here are a couple items. There is no real-TTL unless the camera is hardwired which is not possible with either an S95 or an S2000. Preflash is active in Av and Tv modes or the camera would be unable to judge how to set it's portion. And finally, masking the flash is best done by masking the inside of the housing. Just keep adding masking until no light is going forward. Ref attached photo.

Mask.jpg

thanks!

@ interceptor:
I am actually connecting already via optical fiber cable, but I did not buy an Inon set, so that I can only use other stuff like foto film for covering the internal flash.

@ flareside:
That looks very good, I will try to put a similare tape design in place and post, if the constant whitening of the pic through overexposure continues or not.
But now I am surprised, that you are saying that Tv or Av will have a pre-flash on the S95. Is this a pre-flash, that's not noticed by the human eye or what?
I do not see a pre-flash and am also reading in many places, that the S90/95 etc. do not have a pre-flash. Could you please explain how this is working?

The strobe is firing so obviously it sees the internal flash
The S2000 has 3 positions before going mad maybe just try the other two? What kind of photos are you trying to take?
I would not bother with TTL for Macro for that I would use manual with shutter speed higher than 500 and Aperture F8
For CFWA I would start at Tv 125 to see what happens and move it to 250 with TTL and if that does not help fire the strobe manual

In short I would only bother with TTL for wide angle pictures

I am taking both, wide angle and macro. I realized that S-TTL works fine, if I blacken the housing from the inside as shown in the pic above, but when I tape some phot film directly on the internal flash, then the pic becomes just white from extreme overexposure. So I will just blacken the housing internally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom