looking to buy once and buy right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdnfireman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Seeking some advice on buying a strobe.....suggestions on brands etc etc...I know a little about lighting but I don't know the brands to look for etc etc....any help appreciate....thanks in advance
Gregg

Last edited:
Seeking some advice on buying a strobe.....suggestions on brands etc etc...I know a little about lighting but I don't know the brands to look for etc etc....any help appreciate....thanks in advance
Gregg

geez, how about some info?

What kind of camera do you have?
What kind of photographer are you? Just a snap shot diver, artist, macro, wide angle?
Are you going to upgrade in the future?
How often do you dive, do you take your camera with you always or do you plan to?

sorry about the lack of info.....forgot I had posted lol.......I have a Canon S100.......I know enough about camera work to know what im doing......so while it maybe a point and shoot...id like to max out its abilities.....I can see staying with this camera a while as I really just want to be able to take good/great images.....I know how to edit and crop due to some ability above to water....will be taking a beating as I tend to drag the camera along....biggest problem ...I know very little about ..brands etc etc ....I do know the importance of lighting...so really its cost.....I would say I can afford up to 300-500$......

In the $350 to $500 range you have some limited choices. In that price range, I would probably get a YS-01 (it will grow with you).
Bill

350-500$ is not a buy once buy right price range.
The best strobe would be the YS-01 or 02 depending on how you shoot. The 01 has a chance to last longer with you especially if you move away from canon and go Panasonic or Sony

Buy once brand names are inon and Sea & Sea.
Buy once pricing starts at around $600.

remember to include the tray / arm / cable in your costs as hand held strobes are not recommended.
if you think you will eventually graduate to a second strobe, then be ready to purchase another tray in order to mount it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom