Resale Value

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My take on strobes is that a lot depends on how old they are (flash tubes do age). New YS01 can be had for 299 from Divervision (you probably paid more). I would suggest that $240 would be a good price, $225 a bit more likely to sell
Bill

50% is the typical resale value of used equipment in perfect working and nice looking condition. If the stuff is still available new, just find the cheapest new one and cut the price in half. The older something is, the more out of date it is the percentage should normally be even less. Cameras become basically worthless sooner or later, strobes value might last longer but it depends on how long they are compatible.

If reading the above post your strobes are available for $300 new, they should sell for about $150. I wouldn't pay 75% of new prices for used equipment with the fact that they are used, out of warranty and you never know for sure what you're getting. Judging how long things stay on scubaboard begging for a buyer I don't think many other people would pay that percentage either.

I think their resale value depends on how new the model is. and whether it has been discontinued and/or a newer equiv model has come out from the mfg. You can't look at sellers like divervision since they are an offshore seller. The general price for the YS-01 has always been $429 and people were placing them for sale early on for around $300, but since it has been out for a while now, that would probably have dropped to around $250.

That model also applies for cameras, but since cameras becomes obsolete within a year, their value drops much more significantly.

Lwang:
Why shouldn't you look at Divervision or anyone else. If I can buy a new D1 strobe for $499, then why should someone price their used strobe based on a $600 US price?
that makes no sense
Bill

Lwang:
Why shouldn't you look at Divervision or anyone else. If I can buy a new D1 strobe for $499, then why should someone price their used strobe based on a $600 US price?
that makes no sense
Bill

I guess you just have to look at prices of used products. Almost all used product prices are based on the local product's new selling price, instead of the gray market one's. Nobody is selling D1's for anywhere near $300.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom