OM-D E-M5 with PT-EP08 -no room inside the housing to raise the flash head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have Olympus OM-D E-M5 and a PT-EP08 housing and they work well together.

I have recently bought UTF-1 strobes. According to the manual UTF1 should detect when the camera flash is firing and fire at the same time. This is where I have a problem. The flash on OM-D E-M5 can only fire with its head raised, but there is not enough room inside the housing to raise the flash head.

Does anyone know what I might be overlooking or doing wrong? Before you ask, I did connect the optical cables to the housing.

The only explanation I can think of right now is that my housing is supposed to work with a different type of a flash which would be able to raise inside the housing. Does anyone know if other flash types exist for my camera?

I think the flash for the OMD (should have come with it) is a tiny thing with the part number FL-LM2. I don't know what a UTF-1 is, are you talking about an UFL-1? In any case, I think the housing definitely supports the FL-LM2 flash.
Bill

You need to raise it and then put it in the housing. You cannot raise afterwards.

Jack

I'm having the same problem as Marina.

My Olympus OM-D E-M5 cannot enter into PT-EP08 housing with FL-LM2 in the raised position (which is the "on" position). Raising it before entering the housing (like Jack Connick suggested) doesn't seem to help either.

Is there a way to make FL-LM2 go off in the lowered position? If not, I'm guessing PT-EP08 is not meant to be used with FL-LM2 (unless there's some trick that I'm missing). I'd appreciate any insights.

Quote from the housing manual-

Install the flash supplied with the camera.
Do not pop up the light emitting part.

Thaat would seem to imply the flash can fire in the lowered position.

Mine just shipped today so I won't be able to check till it arrives.

I don't know this camera but would you want the flash going off inside the housing? Wouldn't that create light issues due to reflection off the port?

They're actually designed to work that way Bill, The internal flash is shielded inside the housing. The external flash(es) have fiber optic cables that plug in right in front of the internal flash so they fire as a slave.

OK, here's the deal:

The flash does not need to popup and won't do so.

The camera needs to be in almost any mode except IAuto. Then you turn the flash to fill-in (TTL), or manual with the power level set down, depending on how you want to set your flash. (On the UFL-2, you can't use manual) then it will fire.

IAuto won't allow you to override "Auto" on the flash and it won't fire, or won't fire consistently. P,S,A,M and the underwater scenes will.

Enjoy! We have these E-M5 sets for $1499 while they last!

Jack

Last edited:
Have you guys figured this one out? I'm experiencing the same problem! Except I have an external Sea&Sea YS-D1 strobe. The OM-D EM-5 flash will only fire if the light emitting part is up. But the camera won't fit the housing with the light emitting part up!

Hugo, read the posts above. The strobe does not have to be up to fire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom