lights for gopro3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I am thinking which light (one atm) to buy for my gopro, which i mount on a pole. I am a beginner, so I am not looking to spend tons of cash on this. I am undecided between buy a clamp to attach a light to the pole (say I will spend about 40-50$ on the mount and 100$ on the light to give you an idea of the budget i am thinking about)

but I came across this:

Knog releases new Qudos dual GoPro and bike light system | DC Rainmaker

I like the fact that is super compact and would work great on a pole but...

1) 400 lumens are enough?

2) the light is very close to the camera... does it cause backscatter problem underwater? Or it is a problem only with strobes for pictures and less of an issue for videos?

Thanks a lot!

CJ

I'm not familiar with that specific light, but I do know that backscatter would be a problem when the light is so close to the lens.
400 Lumens is very weak as well. It would be effective only for night dives or in daytime less than a foot close.
It would be best to get a pistol grip with flexarm and attach a stronger light such as a 800-1600 lumen. You can find good lights with those specs at perhaps a slightly higher budget, but it's worth it.
The setup you suggested won't be so effective in my opinion.
Note that the Ultrawide angle which fits the GoPro's view angle is even less Lumens - just 270..

thanks ran! very clear! which flexarm do you recommend? I have a sealife acquapod as pole btw :)

sorry I am confused... it looks like a pistol grip mount... how would that be attached to a pole?

You need one of these:

action-camera-tray.jpg

With either one or both arms. Then you need a good light like a Sola 1200

sola1200.jpg
or preferably 2 of them.

It is also very easy to make your own tray and arm set for a fraction of the price with an aluminum rod and loc-line.

The new (black) version of the Intova Pod ($17.49) appears to be a terrific value anyone adding YS mount lights to DIY trays. It comes with 50 cm/19 in of a 1/2 " Loc-line knockoff that's made of similar acetal polymer, reassuringly stiff and predrilled for internal lanyards, a standard 1/4"-20 tripod mount for those making their own tray, a YS mount for your light at the other end. That YS-to-Loc Line mount alone would cost $14+ from other manufacturers.

Having just gotten a GoPro for Christmas, i plan on using this with the dive housing + pole mount. Rather than weigh the end down with a tray, I intend to attach this directly to the GoPro swivel by replacing the M5x0.8 nut with a stainless standoff/coupling nut, replacing the 1/4"-20 bolt on the Intova Pod with a stainless M5x0.8 bolt (probably 50 mm), and some nylon washers as spacers. About $4 hardware, total..

Last edited:
Hi!

I am thinking which light (one atm) to buy for my gopro, which i mount on a pole. I am a beginner, so I am not looking to spend tons of cash on this. I am undecided between buy a clamp to attach a light to the pole (say I will spend about 40-50$ on the mount and 100$ on the light to give you an idea of the budget i am thinking about)

but I came across this:

Knog releases new Qudos dual GoPro and bike light system | DC Rainmaker

I like the fact that is super compact and would work great on a pole but...

1) 400 lumens are enough?

2) the light is very close to the camera... does it cause backscatter problem underwater? Or it is a problem only with strobes for pictures and less of an issue for videos?

Thanks a lot!

CJ

I use the Archon dive lights, they are a good bang for the buck. Check this out and also i do recommend that you also get the Ion rechargeable batteries with charger they are worth it!

Archon D11V Diving Light Cree XM-L Lamp Outdoor Super-bright LED Flashlight 860 Lumens Flashlight 2 X Cr123 Or 1 X 18650 Li-ion Battery Waterproof Travel Flashlight(batteries are not included) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com

Its pretty good wide angle 110 degrees and 860 max lumens. It also has a low mode as well. I think it was a really good deal!

Frank G
Z GEAR - Build A Mount - Camera Pole Light Mounts, Hands Free Dive Camera Mounts & Dive Light Mounts - Build A Mount

I actually just designed and made my own GoPro Trey.
It does the trick and is VERY easy to make.

"NOTE THIS IS THE CHEAP MANS WAY OUT AND IS NO MEANS A PROFESSIONAL OR EXPENSIVE TREY ASSEMBLY"

Hardware:
"ALL HARDWARE IS STAINLESS STEEL"
7 inch 1/4" endless bolts x2
12" x 1.5" x 0.5" Alumminum
Bell Bicycle Handlebar Grips (your choice in style)
3 Feet of 1" SCH 40 PVC
1/4" washers x2
1/4" Locknuts x4
GoPro Tripod Adapter x3
1/4" Screw x1 (endless)
Dive Light of your choice with GoPro mount accessibility i chose these:
Amazon.com: Emgreat Underwater 30m (12 inch) Waterproof Video Light With Adaptor in Bottom and Top for GoPro Hero4 Silver Black Hero 4 3+ 3 2 Session: Cell Phones & Accessories

All of the hardware cost roughly $30
it took 30 minutes to make.

TOOLS:
Wrench
socket wrench
1/4" socket
1/4" drill bit
Drill
Hand Saw

Instructions:

1. Cut pvc into two 6 inch pieces using handsaw (cut using the ends so that if you cut uneven then one side will definitely be flat for connecting to aluminum)
2. Using your handsaw. Cut the Alumminum into a 12" piece (use the end of it so that only one end is rough after you cut it)
3. slide your handlebar grips onto the 6" pvc. You won't need anything extra just some force and they should slide on there pretty tightly.
4. Drill 1/4" holes on both sides of the Alumminum and in the EXACT center.
5. Assmble the grips by placing the 6" screw inside of the pvc and through the hole in the aluminum. put a washer and a locknut on top and one on the bottom.
6. Tighten the bolts. there should be some extra thread on the screws. (this is used to mount the lights) you can use the bottom bolt to tighten and loosten to straighten out the camera when you put the Tripod Adapters on it.
7. Repeat step 5 and 6 for the other side.
8. tighten a gopro tripod adapter for the middle where you will mount your camera
9. Jump in the water and record all those little fishies :)

I'll post pics soon with my results. too lazy to upload right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom