Eneloop batteries - charger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got some Sanyo Eneloop XX 2550 mAh AA batteries that I intend to use in a strobe. Working out what charger is suitable for the batteries is turning in to a headache. The charger I have is fairly basic; the manufacturer claims that it will charge four of these batteries in around 195 minutes. Is this going to be OK or will it damage the batteries? Thanks.

We also have a Powerex smart charger (C9000) and it works great, but is a bit bulky for travel. So we use a more basic charger when traveling, and the batteries (eneloops and others) get some TLC between trips in the smart charger. Besides choices in charging rates and other features, individual charging circuits for each battery are really good to have, rather than doing it in pairs like most cheap chargers do. Hopefully any decent charger isn't going to damage batteries in the short term, but from what I've seen a good one will extend their life. (And I have seen a charger damage batteries, an older one we had that I tossed as soon as I realized what it was up to.)

I use this one Titanium-CH-8800 Smart Fast 8 Bay Battery Charger - BatteryJunction.com
It charges 8 batteries in a couple of hours. They get a little warm, but I've been using the same set of Eneloops for well over a year without any problem. I let them cool before I put them in the strobe. They have a discharge/recharge renewing circuit as well. On a recent dive trip to Alaska, two of my buddies had issues with recharging their batteries on other chargers, getting a flashing light "error" signal when they were installed. Mine charged them right up and they used it for those batteries throughout the trip. I have a faster charger that has a fan-it charges in 15 minutes for 4 batteries- but if the starting level is too high or the battery isn't in good condition, it blinks and refuses to charge.

+1 for the mentioned smart chargers. I have the Maha C9000 myself. Smart chargers are essential to get the most out of your NiMH batteries and they make a lot of difference especially in the long run. "Dumb" chargers tend to overcharge batteries (some of them quite significantly so) and this will permanently damage the cells. Fast charging and heating up of the cells during a normal charge is not a problem as long as the charge current gets cut off at the right moment. My C9000 offers a maximum charging current of 2000 mA, which would charge your batteries from empty to full in about an hour and 15 minutes.

I've never had a problem with the Eneloop branded 4 battery charger. It takes several hours but I have plenty of spares so it's not an issue. Some of my eneloops are 6+ years old and still work fine.

Hi Andrew, i am using the same eneloops for my inon z240s and have gone with the following Maha Powerex MH-C800S Eight AA/AAA Smart Charger. Allows for a soft charging option (slower but overall better for battery life).

I have two sets of batteries so charging time is not really an issue.

Ditto this my setup also. Works great

I think it is generally accepted that for best results you should charge at 0.5C to get a proper turn-off the charging signal. That means at 1000 mA for a 2100 mAh battery. If you charge at too low a rate (like 0.1C) you risk overcharging so don't leave them in the charger for more than 14 or 15 hours if you are at 0.1C
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom