Battery for video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a small Epoque EL-1000L video light that can be attached to the top of my UW camera housing and is useful for close video clips. It uses an unbranded 18650 rechargeable battery (2400 mAh, 3.7V) and at full power lasts for about 90 minutes. As I am using this light rather frequently, a spare battery would be useful. I have looked and found that I can get more powerful (up to 4800 mAh) batteries of otherwise same specs and size. Is it OK to get one of those to get longer illumination life or does it not work that way?

Don't trust any manufacturer who claims more than 3600 mAh in an 18650 Li-ion. And avoid any brands with fire in the name. The batteries that use Panasonic cells are reliable. Currently there are good batteries with 3200 mAh capacity with or without protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't trust any manufacturer who claims more than 3600 mAh in an 18650 Li-ion. And avoid any brands with fire in the name. The batteries that use Panasonic cells are reliable. Currently there are good batteries with 3200 mAh capacity with or without protection.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed - do some google research. There is a flash light forum (i forget the name...) that has lots of good info on respected manufacturers.

An example of buyer beware: I bought an elcheapo dive light that came with 2 26650 batteries and a charger. Batteries labelled as 5000mAh. The battery casing started to peel. Closer inspection after I ripped off the plastic cover revealed they where an aluminum tube with a smaller battery stuck inside. WTF? The internal battery had no label of any sort.

After some research I purchased some panasonic 18650 @ 2600 mAh that work just fine.

If you buy a battery make sure that it is the correct length. The Itorch lights I have are very picky with respect to the length of the battery, some are too long. GO to the candlepower forum and look around.
Bill

I also have this same light, however, having tried a Panasonic 18650 3100 mah battery it didn't work, so I believe the epoque uses a specifically designed battery.

Edit: seeing as you are from the uk, you can get the battery here: Epoque EL-1000L - Cameras Underwater Ltd

Check out...

LiIon 18650 battery comparison

I choose Xtars from Amazon, I'm pleased with them.. I think they have Panasonic cells... BTW Trustfires from Dealxtreme have been variable...

I seem to have accumulated a lot of 18650 Trustfire batteries, both the blue and the color case ones and I must say they've all been good. I have an XTAR VP2 charger and it measures the voltage and state of charge so I check the batteries before using in my lights. All my batteries are of the protected type.

I also have this same light, however, having tried a Panasonic 18650 3100 mah battery it didn't work, so I believe the epoque uses a specifically designed battery.

Edit: seeing as you are from the uk, you can get the battery here: Epoque EL-1000L - Cameras Underwater Ltd

Thanks. Yes, I bought all my kit with them and know that they specify that their protected battery is longer than standard and specifically designed for the Epoch EL - 1000L. But when I spoke to them, they did confirm that as long as the battery was the same length or even a few mm longer, it will work.

The trouble with the 2400 mAh battery they supply is that with full charge and used at full power, the battery lasts about 1 hour and 20 minutes. To me that is neither here nor there. I need a spare to take to Socorro where I hope to use the light on every dive. The 2400 mAh takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes to charge from zilch and so I'll be pushing it if I try to charge the same battery between dives. Hence the need for the spare.

I have taken a chance and ordered the 3400 mAh protected battery from Nitecore. 18650 (3400mAh) ? Nitecore | The most advanced precision made flashlights in the world (I have ordered from UK Amazon)

As you can see, the dimensions seem the same as my/your battery. It may be 1.3mm longer but surely the spring at the end of the rear cap would compensate for that. And with 3 O-rings protecting the torch, I am sure I'll be OK with flood protection.

If find that having two batteries generally covers me for a full day of diving but as I primarily use it as focus light I rarely use it on more than 50% power.

Let me know how you get on as it would be good to know that there are other options when it comes to batteries.

All in all a great little light that I'm very pleased with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom