What combination of arms and trays for this setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew Jones

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I decided to start a new thread because the topic pretty much changed. But I have a GoPro 4 Hero and the following pieces to go with it:

tray: Backscatter GoPro Double Handle & Tray with Tripod Adapter

arms on order: Backscatter Flex Arm with YS adapter end

lighting on order: Tovatec Galaxy 2500 Lumens Video Light at LeisurePro

are these all the right pieces? I'm kinda mixing and matching and can't tell if the arms will work. If not what can I replace? I already have the GoPro and tray so I'd prefer to keep them but if I need to scrap the tray that's fine but I want to keep the same lights and GoPro.

That's all the right stuff. You'll bolt the little adapter shown on the Backscatter arm listing thru the holes in your existing tray ends.
It's the same piece as the fifth image in the top row on the tray webpage.

Snap on the loc-line arm and the YS adapter on the other end of the arm will fit into the Tovatec Y clamp.
The Video Light is equipped with a Video Mount Adapter (Y clamp) for attaching to Standard Flex Arm.

The important compatibility is the ends of the arms. The arms you picked have a 1/4 20 screw on the camera end which works with the tray. The light end has the y adapter and your lights have the y mount. So you should be good.

The only question I see is are the lights too large or too heavy for the arms. Flex arms work great with small light arms. If the lights are to large they will sag and not stay in place.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hmmm I guess I'll see. If they sag, what should j replace them with?[/COLOR]

If they sag you can upgrade to the ultralight arms. They have clamps at each joint. I use flexible arms and they are fine, but I'm using a GoPro3 or compact point and shoot. The ultralight arms I'm driving and will reply later large and you can not readjust as easy. I do not like the GoPro3 for stills your 4 has the LCD which is better but I dive with gloves and buttons are hard to push.

I would stick to the flex arms unless they are a problem. If your lights sag on those they are properly to big for the GoPro.

What parts would I need for the UL arms? I'm confused by all the parts lol.

I hope it doesn't come to that. While it doesn't guarantee anything at least the Tovatec website doesn't have anything except flex arms. Might be a good sign.

---------- Post added December 26th, 2014 at 09:31 PM ----------

With This setup would you still use a color correcting lens?

---------- Post added December 26th, 2014 at 10:29 PM ----------

Nm. I just read a guide to photography. No filters and video lights

There's also ways to stiffen flex arms. One of them is to get some thick wall tubing - usually the clear vinyl stuff works best - and cut a piece and insert it inside your flex arms. Loc-line - which is what they're made of - was originally made to transport liquid in industrial applications so the segments are hollow inside. One of the lower priced strobe mfr's also uses loc-line wrapped with the appropriate soft rubber tubing to stiffen up their systems.

I don't really think you're going to have a problem with it though. The light has some air trapped inside when you seal it so u/w it may be a little more buoyant also.

Loc-line is pretty solid stuff also - they sell a special tool to pry the segments apart if needed. Even if the arms sag on the surface, they likely won't underwater. As you mentioned, I doubt Tovatec would sell a lot of arms for their lights if it didn't work.

Should you need to go with ball/clamp arms that's going to be a lot more expensive. You'd need a YS ball adapter for your light (they sell them) a clamp for that ball, an arm segment or two - each joined by another clamp - and an adapter for your tray end which will also have a ball end. ULCS sells all of it. Ultralight Control Systems

A buddy put together a single two arm segment for his single video light. Including the $40 ULCS tray there wasn't much change back from $200.

I use the lights with the Intova flex arms and have never had any issues. I've knocked off a few links now though, because I wanted a more compact unit.

The underwater footage on this video was shot with the Intova lights and a Gopro Hero 3: https://vimeo.com/82055628

Back
Top Bottom