http://www.diveheart.org/

Operation Bottom Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarlaChatterton

Registered
Reaction score
OPERATION BOTTOM TIME for SUDS

Mission Statement

To improve the lives of the soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan through scuba training, and to engage the diving community in ongoing support of these soldiers.

Summary

The Soldiers Undertaking Disabled Scuba (SUDS) program is a certified chapter of Disabled Sports USA, started in Feb 2007 at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center (WRAMC). It is an adaptive scuba program working with wounded soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. The goal is to train soldiers in the activity of scuba diving, to improve their recovery both emotionally & physically and to provide the soldiers with an activity they can enjoy the rest of their life.

SUDS is a 501 c 3 non-profit, tax deductible donations can be made to: SUDS Diving, Inc.
paypal coming soon to our website: SUDS Diving Home

Objective

Currently the soldiers are trained by volunteers at WRAMC headed up by John Thompson. Upon completion of the training the soldiers have 12 months to complete 4 open water dives for their scuba certification. Operation Bottom Time is a fund raising event focused on the completion of the soldiers open water certification and introducing them to the greater diving community.

Operation Bottom Time will ultimately run four trips per year so the soldiers have the opportunity to complete their certification with us. Operation Bottom Time is an open charter available to certified divers to meet and dive with these soldiers.

Operation Bottom Time, Upper Keys will be the first fund raising event to be held in 2008 from May 18 to May 23. The soldier’s certification will take place on May 18th and 19th followed by open dive charters from May 20th to May 23rd. The diving community in Key Largo through the Upper Keys Dive Operators Association will supply as many boats as needed for the event.

Operation Bottom Time, Bonaire is the next scheduled event to be held in the fall of 2008.

Operation Bottom Time will need to raise enough funds to cover the costs associated with air and ground transportation, food and lodging as well as the diving expenses for 8 soldiers and their instructors/ dive buddies.

Carla, how is Operation Bottom Time raising funds? Through open charter fees, or is there another component?

I got to dive Key Largo for the first time this past November. It was a blast, although our group also decided to make a return trip this year when the conditions (weather, visibility) would be even better. I'd love to try and time it to be able to participate in Operation Bottom Time.

Let us know more!

I've been working on a program that is specifically geared to working with our injured/disabled service men and women and even extending into our public service (police, fire, ems) that includes diving and an always accessable facility. This is kind of exciting that there is already something in place to help backbone this concept. :)

Carla, Where should one send a check to? Also, has there been a PayPal account set-up.

Really great stuff you are doing here :yelclap:

I'd like more info on this as far as setting up local programs. I'm a DM who will be taking the YMCA instructor course in May. I'm also the father of an active duty serviceman and my wife is disabled with muscular dystrophy. I had planned on getting my HSA instructor cert in the future. I'd love to be able to help out and give back to those who have given so much for so little thanks.

I would like to get ou in touch with John Thompson who set up the organization at Water Reed. Please let me know who best to contact you to discuss your interest in the program

Carla, Where should one send a check to? Also, has there been a PayPal account set-up.

Really great stuff you are doing here :yelclap:
Thanks for your interest in SUDS.

SUDS is a 501 c 3 non-profit, tax deductible donations can be made to: SUDS Diving, Inc.

If you would like to go diving with the soldiers on the first Operation Bottom Time event send me you contact information as we will be sending out idetailed information in the next few weeks.

I've been working on a program that is specifically geared to working with our injured/disabled service men and women and even extending into our public service (police, fire, ems) that includes diving and an always accessable facility. This is kind of exciting that there is already something in place to help backbone this concept. :)
Thanks for your interest in the program.

If you want to participate at the first Operation Bottom Time event in the Keys this May, let me know your contact information as we will be posting the details in the next few weeks.

Carla, how is Operation Bottom Time raising funds? Through open charter fees, or is there another component?

I got to dive Key Largo for the first time this past November. It was a blast, although our group also decided to make a return trip this year when the conditions (weather, visibility) would be even better. I'd love to try and time it to be able to participate in Operation Bottom Time.

Let us know more!
We are rasing funds throught the Operation Bottom Charter, and through private donations directly to SUDS.

If you want to participate at the first Operation Bottom Time event in the Keys this May, let me know your contact information as we will be posting the details in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your interest in SUDS & our injured soldiers. You can make a tax deductible donation on our website SUDS Diving > Welcome to SUDS through paypal. Another option is by check to: SUDS Diving, Inc.
10701 Meadowhill Road
Silver Spring, MD 20901
Regards,
John W. Thompson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom