Did Suunto diving algorithms change over the years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I lost my Suunto Mosquito and borrowed my friend's Zoop for a deep (105' ) dive. It seemed that I was allowed more bottom time with the Zoop :cool2:. Am I imagining this or the algorithm in fact has changed?

best

Zoltan

There is a conservatism factor on the Suuntos - were these identical? Also, were these at the same depth the entire time? Suunto do not publish their algorithm - the only thing they tell us is that it is a modified version of RGBM - mixed with a 9 compartment Haldanean based model I believe. I have not read it, but Suunto do have a paper out on it here.

I have been using Suunto's for years (1000's dives as instructor) but will not buy any newer computer then my Spyder or Solution as all newer ones are much more conservative. so when i dive with my Partner who has a Stinger (still old but newer then mine) and dive the same profile exactly she always has to go up a lot earlier then me or has much loner Deco time . Same with other buddies I always check there computer as they usually have shorter limits then me.
So my answer is yes I guess so - as i think the Zoop had the old Chip in same as Solution but Mosquito has newer chip and more conservative .

But these days so many more divers of different fitness levels, health, etc so would be more lightly to get DCS so Manufacturers make them more Conservative to cover all people where years ago divers were a hard core bunch and not many types of people.

Just my 2 cents worth
Mark

I dived for a long time with both a Mosquito and a Cobra, and always found they were in almost perfect agreement even on the 4th dive of the day.

Now I use the same Cobra and a much newer D6i and find the new computer is LESS conservative. I now use the D6i on a P1 setting to have it match the Cobra.

I noticed Suunto algorithm (mosquito) puts a harsh penalty on continuous fast ascents (and especially on short surface interval). The point is to prevent micro bubbles as its name goes for Reduced Gradient Bubble Model
I suppose You may dive almost the same profile and end with a different NDL and deco time . The ascent warnings are REALLY sensitive and it is easy to violate ascent speed.
This would confirm BigJeff experience; his RGBM 100 computers would always register exactly the same.
The newer suuntos, Vytec ds(DeepStop) beyond, use the RGBM 50 model and deep stops algorithm.
Haven't dived newer models yet. Heard they're less conservative though the deep stop is not a great advantage.
Zoop probably uses the newer algorithm. Suunto site no longer mentions difference over RGBM 100 and 50.

Last edited:
I dive with a vyper & D4i and they never match up. (well, almost never) I usally have to set my vyper at 23 or 24% O2 to match up with the D4i

My D6 (not the newer D6i, but rather a 7 year-old D6) and my Zoop match up exactly and also match up with my wife's 4 year-old Cobra 3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom