How to restore .bak file to new PC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How do I restore a backup file to my new PC?

I have the file DM4.db.bak from my old PC on my dropbox. On the new PC I do file -> import and go to the dropbox folder (still within import) and the file doesn't show up. I am able to dag and drop from the dropbox into the import window however. From there, I try to open the file and the window just goes away without importing. Am I missing something?

I am not familiar with program to where you try to load the file. Most backup programs creates *.bak file by copping exiting file and add "bak" at the end. I will suggest first just make copy "DM4.db.bak" to "DM4.db"
In some cases "bak" comes instead of original file extension, in this case you should know which file extension had original file.
Anyway "copy" will not harm your computer.

Good idea, but that didn't work either. It seems like the program is not recognizing the file in any format. I've also posted the question on the Suunto web site.

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2014 at 02:04 PM ----------

Figured it out through a couple of on line sites and some trial and error. This is a lot harder than it should be. If there is a "Create Backup" function, there should be a "Restore Backup" one. Are you listening Suunto?

Went into C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\Data\M8DJA6YT.Y8B\5VXQYJWV.5KH\suun..tion_3ccae3cb2a36e2f5_0001.0001_013b4f847cba8f26\Data
(Make sure you have "show hidden files" applied in the control panel because AppData is a hidden file

Renamed the existing (empty) DM4.db file to DM4(2).db

Copied the DM4.db file into that folder

All my dives appear.

Back
Top Bottom