The wait is over: Suunto Eon Steel is here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hendrik@Suunto

Contributor
Reaction score
Inside_2014_October_Main_Image_with_EON.png
1x1.gif
SUUNTO EON STEEL IS HERE!

The next generation dive computer is here, offering full customization and amazing color screen. The Suunto EON Steel will grow with you as your diving and skills evolve, thanks to the way you can customize it to your needs.

****Follow link to: Explore more about the new Suunto EON Steel *****

Released at a time I am looking to possibly change to a Petrel :hm:

I had a dive a few months ago where I had to do (along with my two buddies) an additional 12 mins deco with the HelO2 after a dive to 57M, whilst they had cleared using the Petrel with VPM-B +3 settings (same as the plan on my slate)

I am wondering how much more conservative is the Suunto Fused RGBM algorithm ?

I have only ever used Suunto computers (Companion, Solution alpha, Vytec, Vyper, HelO2) but at $300 for a trimix fill I am wondering if diving no more than once or twice a month on trimix is worth the change?

The Eon Steel is a big unit and takes up a fair bit of real estate on your forearm. However despite its size it is a competent computer with a good display.

A bit pricey ... $1440 + $440 for the transmitter. But I have heard the same thing about my Atomic Cobalt and Sherwater Petrel. When you find something you love price really isn't a deciding factor. Suunto has a great reputation for great computers.

There have been so many thread about how the Petrel should be AI...this computer seems to fit the bill.

Not sure about the decompression algorithm that Suunto uses compared to others. Gordon was mentioning above how he thought it was more conservative.

I really like the screen setups...easy to read and easy to operator. If I was looking for a new computer I would look at this one. :)

A bit pricey ... $1440 + $440 for the transmitter. But I have heard the same thing about my Atomic Cobalt and Sherwater Petrel. When you find something you love price really isn't a deciding factor. Suunto has a great reputation for great computers.
You're right, price doesn't matter if you are in love with this computer. Somehow I'am not in love. It's too gimmicky for me after reading the manual. It may sound strange, but I really like simplicity in a DC. Furthermore, I do not like a DC telling the diver what to do or even prohibiting the diver to do things it does not like as the Suunto's and others do. In the end I want to be solely responsible for my actions, not my DC telling me what I can or cannot do.

Beside that, I currently own a D4i and DM4 fairly often it complains about having not completed safety stops while diving not below 10 metres or it accussess me of ascending and descending 8 metres in less than 40 seconds :blinking: To be honest, I do not trust my D4i totally anymore. Enough reasons to move on to the Petrel and let this one pass, although the EON fits all my wishes on paper.

There have been so many thread about how the Petrel should be AI...this computer seems to fit the bill.
Well, it would be nice if the Petrel had AI. But my SPG gets the job done too and it is really stable unlike AI from my D4i :cool2:

A "technical" dive computer which locks you out completely for 48 hours if you violate a deco stop?

A "technical" dive computer which locks you out completely for 48 hours if you violate a deco stop?

Wow, I had to read the user manual to see it myself! Looks like if you have an issue that won't let you follow it's schedule 100%, it just gives up and says "screw you, you're dead". How NOT wonderful of a computer.

I guess if you are planning on deco dives you will be better off cutting your own plan with contingencies and using a BT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom