Headig to Taipei Beginning of June 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickeyf413

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm heading to Taipei for business the 1st week of June 2015 and my have an additional week to spend in Taiwan. I don't know much about Taiwan diving so I'm looking for some advice. If you had 5-7 days to spend diving in Taiwan where would you go?

I'm looking to do some underwater photography and it can be either macro or wide-angle or both. The little reading I've done looks like the choices are Green and Orchid Islands or Kenting National Park

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

I'd catch the late night flight on Cebu Pacific to the Philippines the last night you have business there. If you work the schedules right you can be on an afternoon dive somewhere great. If you have 7 days there's a direct flight on China Air to Palau. I think EVA Air still runs direct flights to Phuket, Taiwan diving is ok, but you are just a short flight away from really outstanding diving. I lived in Taipei for 3 years, I normally caught a Friday evening flight out and came back Monday night for weekend dive trips. Green Island during Hammerhead season is worth doing, but they should be long gone in June.

:rofl3:
OK, I‘ll be the first to agree - there is a hell of a lot better diving in Asia, and it ain‘t all that difficult to access from Taiwan.

But we have great sites here, too. Having now done multiple Green Island and Kenting trips over the past 5 years, I can say that our southern diving is not only a real treat, but one of the better kept secrets of Asian scuba.

Is it Palau? God no. If you‘re here anyway, should you take the time to contact a few local ops to test the waters for yourself? It‘d be a damn pity if you didn‘t.

If you do go with Taiwan, I would suggest Green Island over Kenting. It can be pretty easy to get down and back, especially if not a public holiday. A round trip train to TaiTung will cost NTD1440 (USD48), return boat ticket is NTD980 (USD32, but you likely can get a discount through the place you stay).

To take care of you (diving/accommodation/ferry), look up BlueSafari, or better a new place recently opened the Safety Stop, run by Craig a foreigner.

Back
Top Bottom