Local Grinds - the chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Chat about our local grinds here. I'll collect the data and add it to the reference thread here. Your suggestions will be sorted by Island.

Last edited:
justleesa:
no suggestions yet....anyone?
You *MUST* check out the Molokai Hot Bread.

Here's a link to a photo of the menu: http://flickr.com/photos/doctorkb/411194275/in/set-72157594570856227/

Click "map" in the right hand column to see where to find it.

It's in a back alley behind the bakery -- they don't start serving it until ~10pm... but it is SOOOO worth it!

It's a bit of an experience that feels somewhat like the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" -- she takes a few orders, goes back in (closes door), prepares them, comes back out, you give her money she gives you bread.

[ASIDE: Lisa -- it might be good to translate "grinds" for those that aren't from the islands! :D ]

I thought I should throw in my fav....

Been looking for good So. Cal style Mex here on Oahu for 2 years now. Try Diegos on King Street (by Old Stadium Park, Makai Side). 2 tank dive in the AM, Carne Asada Burrito w/ rice and beans and a nap. Sounds like a great day.

For Italian try Sistina (also on King) Great atmosphere, good wine list and friendly service.

Thai = Phuket (Mcully Shopping Center) Great curries, awesome aps and good prices for the portion sizes

Local Ono on Kapahulu.... hands down.

Hope this helps....

Thai = Phuket (Mcully Shopping Center) Great curries, awesome aps and good prices for the portion sizes

My girl child, Alexa is the hostess. Can't miss her, she be the white girl.
She spoils me with free take-out.

We like the Blue Water Grill, I can even score free desserts sometimes!

Thanks, I need some new places to eat.

And here is another "hole in the wall" for good food (Chinese this time). This is a quote from a restaurant review.

"New Kapahulu Chop Suey

Inexpensive but good Chinese food. Dingy atmosphere and surly waitresses. Located at 730 Kapahulu, a 10-minute walk from the New Otani Hotel and Radisson. Call 734-4953. Best value anywhere."

Back to the Big Island... Unfortunately Sam Choy's closed a year or two back, there's still a bunch of good eats though.

The absolute best value for the buck (at least into last year, haven't been there lately) for years has been the Hawaiian Style Cafe up in Waimea. They basically are a plate lunch place that gears to the cowboys (historically, the first cowyboys in the US were in Hawaii, taught by Argentine caballeros) in the area... lots of food for 6-8 bucks, tasty too. I try to get up there every couple of years just for thrills. Portions are nearly double (sometimes more - try the 2 eggs and bacon (12 or so pieces) with pancakes) of anything in Kona.

Best in Kona, according to me: Huggos

Best in Lahaina, according to me: David Paul's

speaking of buffalo wings- the best place for hot wings is Dirty Lickins in Aiea. Get the hot-- best flavor. Good prices, especially for the lunch specials (that you get at anytime of the day).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom