Dip tubes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gentlegiant

Contributor
Reaction score
Why don't dip tubes have a couple of flats on the tube to grab onto with pliers or a crescent wrech when installing them? Since the tubes are all round they seem to all get scratched up when you seat them into the valves. Not a major issue but something I have been wondering about since the guys at the LDS showed this to me when they were assembling our tanks and valves.

Originally posted by cbriggs77
Why don't dip tubes have a couple of flats on the tube to grab onto with pliers or a crescent wrech when installing them? Since the tubes are all round they seem to all get scratched up when you seat them into the valves.
Well if you squish them real hard with vise grips you could impose a small flat spot on them...
but like you said...
it isn't a big deal...
at all..

I just got a Sea Elite manifold, and was wondering if I should grease the air pins before installing them? Is loctite OK to use with air pins? Is there an oxygen compatible loctite?

Thanks,

Mike

Are you talking about the dip tubes that are sent loose with the manifold and must be screwed into the bottom of each valve?

I snug them down dry with vice grips until the threads *squeak*.

I don't use any lube or loctite.

They are there in the event that you get water in the tank. If you tip yourself head down underwater, you would need a sizable amount of water in the tank before it would be high enough to enter the valve and the reg. You could probably hear it sloshing around in the tank long before you got that much in the tank.

Without the dip tube even a small amount of water could find it's way into the reg.

I agree with tightening them securely as they are really annoying if they fall out and rattle around inside the tank. Yo do not want to use locktight or any other chemical compounds in the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom