Just got AL80 from 1983...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murrr77

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I had a great deal, I bought two AL80's from a dive shop in Phoenix while I was on vacation. Brand new hydro/viz and fill, $89 each. They were also bead blast finish so they look new.

SInce I was on vacation I asked my brother to bring them back to NE for me when he moved. Now I've got 'em and am looking closer, I thought they were from 89 and 90, but now I see at least one of them is a Luxfer from 83, the other is also a Luxfer, might be from 90 but I need to take a closer look when I get home.

So what, am I screwed? I didn't see any "eddy current" stickers and they certainly didn't make mention. In fact, they replaced the valve on one ASAP because it was leaking when I was there and told them I woudln't be able to get it unless it was fixed right away.

Should I call the shop? I cna't beleive they woudl sell somethign without the proper inspection and/or mention it. Obviously it will cost ME an arm and leg to ship back...

Depends on the shops where you plan to have them filled. Older than 1988 & the shops may refuse to fill them regardless of VIP or hydro status. If your shop will fill them, no prob.

Read about the problem here:

http://www.psicylinders.com/library/cracking.htm

Right on the nose...flip a coin as to if you will get it filled. Technically the shop owes you nothing. Calling and complaining will probably do you no good. Good luck.

BTW, I have one such tank, a 1987 Luxfer. My LDS will fill it, so long as they service it. I have had other shops refuse to fill it. This makes the tank a good tank when diving near home, as I can be sure of a fill, but a lousy choice to take with us on a road trip where we'd depend on fills at strange shops that may refuse it.

All LDS in my area is more likely to refuse it. Specially, if the tank wasn't from their shop, it is 100% positive to refuse it.....LOL~

crpntr133:
Right on the nose...flip a coin as to if you will get it filled. Technically the shop owes you nothing. Calling and complaining will probably do you no good. Good luck.

So it's buyer beware? I'll add another tick mark to the reasons I don't like buying from LDSs. "Customer Service".

I’ve had dozens of shops from Kansas to Florida fill my older tank – until Sunday. I’ve so taken it for granted that I was shocked when I was refused a fill despite a 3 week old VIP+ and O2 clean. I guess it will become my local only tank now.

murrr77:
So it's buyer beware?

Isn't it always?

The best spin is that the shop that sold it would have no problem filling it. That selling price was a good chunk of the price of a brand new one, too bad. Hopefuly you find a willing local shop.

Pete

murrr77:
So it's buyer beware? I'll add another tick mark to the reasons I don't like buying from LDSs. "Customer Service".
Call the shop where you bought the tanks, explain the situation and give them the chance to make it right. At least find out what they are willing to do... perhaps they will refund you a part (or all) of the purchase price.

Once you know their answer we can talk about "customer service" and why or why not to buy from an LDS.

Well, I spoke with El Mar Diving Center. They were shocked a shop would refuse to fill them, and said they Eddy Current all of thier tanks, but usually don't put any indication of this on the tank itself. They also said the eddy current isn't required, is this true?

They did say they woudl refund the tank if I paid to ship it to them, which is fair. I'm out some bucks when I figure out how to ship this, but at least I can get a tank that anyone will fill.

Back
Top Bottom