how long does a scuba tank last for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilbacon

Registered
Reaction score
Im a under water hull cleaner, and instead of hawling around the big compressor I would just like to carry a tank with me. It is a big scuba tank by the way. The hull cleaning takes about 3-4 hours with about 15 minutes under water for each boat max. So is this a good idea or should I just stick with the compressor? Im not a heavy breather and I don't kick alot when im cleaning, so should that have any effect with how long the tank will last me?? please help..:05:

evilbacon:
Im a under water hull cleaner, and instead of hawling around the big compressor I would just like to carry a tank with me. It is a big scuba tank by the way. The hull cleaning takes about 3-4 hours with about 15 minutes under water for each boat max. So is this a good idea or should I just stick with the compressor? Im not a heavy breather and I don't kick alot when im cleaning, so should that have any effect with how long the tank will last me?? please help..:05:
Next time take both. If the tank runs dry, use the compressor. If it doesn't, leave the compressor at home after that.
Rick

A lot of hull cleaners roll a hand truck around with two 80 aluminum tanks strapped to it, and use a long hose breathing system. Pretty tough to beat for economy and portability.

I clean my own boat, on scuba in winter and just freediving the rest of the year. Your breathing rate can be excellerated with heavy arm work too.

Chad

how long does a scuba tank last for?

With proper care, a tank will last for decades. I have a couple over 50 years old.

about 15 minutes under water for each boat max.

You should be able to clean several on one air fill.

Assuming you are only going down to 2 meters or so and using a 15 litre tank (123 cubic foot) and a Surface Consumption Rate of about 20 litres a minute (quite high)
15 (litre) x 232 bar (tank pressure) / 20 (SCR) / 1.2 (at a depth of 2 meters. use 1.5 for a depth of 5 meters)= 145 minutes. This will of course leave you with no air at all in the tank. So change the 232 to 200 and come up on 32 bar and you get 125 minutes.

depends on your consumption rate and depth

at less than 20 feet, with a normal breathing rate, you can expect an
AL 80 tank to last you at least 90 minutes

a larger tank (say 100 cubic feet) should last you a minimum of 115 minutes.

an even larger tank (say 120 cubic feet) should last about 140 minutes

(these are all rough, minimal estimates)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom