how do you get hot fills from air bank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrockosaurus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My lds consistently underfills my tanks by several hundred pounds and blames it on hot fills. The tank usually is warm when they give it back to me but not so that it would cool to the level that I get it at. I got tired of getting bad fills and told the guy that he was full of bs and that you can't get hot fills from a bank. The heating of the air is caused by the initial compression. You actually should be getting cooling since you are taking a fixed volume of air and putting it into a larger space. So unless the compressor kicks on every time I get a fill, then he's just screwing me out of some air. Who's right here?

Often it is a combination of a "fast fill" (usually the case which generates heat), or to a lesser degree, not placing your tank in a cold water environment when filling to reduce heat. There is no acceptable excuse for a shop not filling your tank to the approved psi.

jrockosaurus:
you can't get hot fills from a bank

you can

it helps if you put the tank in a water tub and tell the guy to slow the fill down,
but it still gets hot.

ideally, he'd agree to "over-fill it" by 200 psi or so, and that will also help when
the tank cools down

H2Andy:
you can

it helps if you put the tank in a water tub and tell the guy to slow the fill down,
but it still gets hot.

ideally, he'd agree to "over-fill it" by 200 psi or so, and that will also help when
the tank cools down
why does it get hot though? thanks for the responses!

well... as far as i know (and i know very little), it's the friction of putting all that
air into the cylinder

H2Andy:
well... as far as i know (and i know very little), it's the friction of putting all that
air into the cylinder
Yes, the little air molecules are rubbing their hands in anticipation of being squished against each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom