Sticker SHOCK!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dugout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, I'll admit being a little old and not always up to speed but...:shakehead
What is the going rate to VIP and "Oxygen clean" an AL80, if it is in perfectly good condition? (Ballpark is fine)

It makes no difference on the cylinder. It does on the valve. Both items need to be prepared for oxygen service if that is desired.

It's typical for it to be about $60 complete. All the parts in the valve need to be replaced. This can add $15 to the process depending on the valve.

Cheers

Everything sounds reasonable. I don't spend much time in Dive shops. I generally fill my tanks at the fire house and do my own thing.

The valve is a non-issue as I am replacing them with new Thermo Pro Din / Yoke type. I didn't want to confuse the question by adding this but it seems I did since the valve is an issue.

I was quoted
20 for the VIP+
50 for the hydro
150.00 for the "oxygen cleaning"
65 for the new valves.

Now, I was certainly born at night but it was not LAST NIGHT!!! I confirmed the cost with them three times in the conversation. When I said that is more than the cost of new tank the responce was, "almost, that is the way most people go." Well the way this person is going is to another Dive shop!!!!!!
I'm not a shopper, most of the time. I didn't even blink at the 175.00 I paid for the certification course. In fact I never even asked the price. I'm sure glad I didn't just drop off the four cylinders and tell them to call me when they were done.:(

dugout:
Everything sounds reasonable. I don't spend much time in Dive shops. I generally fill my tanks at the fire house and do my own thing.

The valve is a non-issue as I am replacing them with new Thermo Pro Din / Yoke type. I didn't want to confuse the question by adding this but it seems I did since the valve is an issue.

I was quoted
20 for the VIP+
50 for the hydro
150.00 for the "oxygen cleaning"
65 for the new valves.

Now, I was certainly born at night but it was not LAST NIGHT!!! I confirmed the cost with them three times in the conversation. When I said that is more than the cost of new tank the responce was, "almost, that is the way most people go." Well the way this person is going is to another Dive shop!!!!!!
I'm not a shopper, most of the time. I didn't even blink at the 175.00 I paid for the certification course. In fact I never even asked the price. I'm sure glad I didn't just drop off the four cylinders and tell them to call me when they were done.:(

See if they will give you a discount for that service on 10 tanks and tell him you will be in next week. That should give them time to do some Xmas shopping.

Sounds like they are trying to force you to buy new tanks and don't really want your business. Go somewhere else.

The shop by me charges $45 for 02 cleaning and I thought that was a bit high.

~Jess

I once got nailed $80.00 bucks to O2 clean a AL30.
I almost told the owner to kiss my *****, the really sad part was that I was working as a DM for him at the time, We've since parted ways....

OK that totals $285. Go to www.diveriteexpress.com, and you can buy a brand new AL80 with a Thermo Din/Yoke valve and O2 cleaned for $200. Shipping is free.

Then you can sell your other 80's on ebay and reclaim some $$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom