Whats with the brass ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have noticed a brass ring at the base of the valve (or the top of the tank , on the neck) on many tanks. One dive boat had it on every rental tank. I figured it was just for identification purposes. Now I have seen it in a few local dive shops, on tanks that would not need to be "branded" as they already had highly distinctive markings.

Is there something I have'nt learned?

Thanks

Mr. Bubble:
I have noticed a brass ring at the base of the valve (or the top of the tank , on the neck) on many tanks. One dive boat had it on every rental tank. I figured it was just for identification purposes. Now I have seen it in a few local dive shops, on tanks that would not need to be "branded" as they already had highly distinctive markings.

Thanks
Back in the day we used to attach stages with it using a double ended dog clip. The other end of the tank had a hose clamp holding a tank taco and another double ender held the bottom in.

It used to be a way for tech divers to sling bottles. There would be a bolt snap attached the brass ring and then another bolt snap attached to the lower part of the tank, and then you could clip off the cylinder. Most guys now use nylon straps or thin marine grade rope to sling their bottles instead.

*Dave just beat me to it*

I believe in the old way as being a better way. but thats just me.

My guess is that it is to prevent theft. When leaving the boat or closing up shop at the end of the day, they will run a chain through all of the brass rings to "link" the tanks together, making it very difficult for a potential thief. Much like you would lock up a bicycle or like restaurants with outdoor seating do with their tables and chairs.

Matteo:
My guess is that it is to prevent theft. When leaving the boat or closing up shop at the end of the day, they will run a chain through all of the brass rings to "link" the tanks together, making it very difficult for a potential thief. Much like you would lock up a bicycle or like restaurants with outdoor seating do with their tables and chairs.
That's right.

Mr. Bubble:

Thanks

There's a shop about an hour from the house and all of their tanks have brass rings. When they're on dive trips for certifications they take their own boat out and leave the tanks on board at night. They have a cable that they weave through the rings to keep someone from walking away with the tanks.

I guess they figure if someone tries to bleed the tank down and remove the valve that someone might hear what was going on.

In years past I also used the brass ring to clip off a deco bottle but now use 1 inch webbing instead.

i cant belive that shops would run a wire rope through the brass rings to keep them on a boat overnight. hasent anyone heard of bolt cutters. seems like it would be to easy to loose tanks that way. i know the rigns were used for stage bottles, or sling bottles attached to the BC.

Davidstealey3:
i cant belive that shops would run a wire rope through the brass rings to keep them on a boat overnight. hasent anyone heard of bolt cutters. seems like it would be to easy to loose tanks that way. i know the rigns were used for stage bottles, or sling bottles attached to the BC.
You can think that you "know" whatever you want, but that does not change the fact that the rings are there to slow down thieves.

Back
Top Bottom