HP tank Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
Do HP tanks have to be DIN or can they be a k valve? I seen some advertised somewhere steel 120s with k valves. But not the tank I want.

If I purchase a steel tank can I have a k valve installed? or is it unsafe? and why?

What would be the down side to a HP120 with a k valve?

for tanks that hold up to 3300 psi you may find with a yoke [a-clamp] valve anything over must have a 300 bar din valve
many of us put din on everything though as we feel it is a much more secure connection.
joens

it does not matter if the tank is steel or not if .just what pressures the tank is expected to hold .
joens

Dear Sylvester
There is two type of valves K valves and J valves these two types can come as
Din or Yoke .
All the HP tank can bee filled more than 200 Bar maybe to 300Bar and in this case they come with a Din K Valve, and if u have an international reg. all u have to do is to buy a small adapter that fit in side of the Din K valve .if u want I can add for u the pic of the adapter so u can see how it look like.

A DIN J Valve???:bonk:
A DIN K valve:bonk:
Lets clarify......
Three types of valves, K and J valves are "yoke" valves. Din valves are captured o-ring type valves that allow the reg to be screwed in to the tank valve to seal.
K and J valves are rated to 3000-3200 psi usaly 3000 is normal. Din is for tanks with higher pressures(3500 psi) A din reg can have a yoke screw "on" adaptor. 200 bar Din tank valves can have a screw "in " adaptor to allow a yoke reg to be used.

Take a HP120 steel tank change the valve to a k valve and only have it filled to 3200psi how many CF of air do I end up with?

I am not familar with the math to figure it out.

My other option is just buy a 104 LP tank but its about 9lbs heavier +/-.

sylvester once bubbled...
Take a HP120 steel tank change the valve to a k valve and only have it filled to 3200psi how many CF of air do I end up with?

I am not familar with the math to figure it out.

You need the physical internal volume as well as the "capacity" and "service pressure" to do the calculation.

There is a diffrent thread and valve diamater between hp and lp tanks. You cant just start switching valves around.

I'm pretty sure that the term "K valve" refers to a single outlet valve on a single tank - regardless of it having a DIN or yoke fitting. However most people don't make the distinction, and refer to "yolk K valves" as "K valves", and "DIN K valves" as "DIN valves". Hence the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom