healthways tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasam35

Reaction score

hi all i hope everyone is getting in the water enough to suit them. the water in the northeastern michigan is a little cool but it is fairly clear now. my question is i recently aquired a healthways tank and back pack and was wondering if anyone knows who manufactured their tanks for them. the last hydro on the tank 5-79. before i take it in for a hydro and inspection i would like to know if anyone has heard of a problem with this brand of tank or not, it is a steel 72 and was manufactured in 1961. any info is appreciated, i will wait to take it in until i have heard a few pro and cons of this 40 year old tank,

thanks sam

unless i see all the numbers on the tanks its hard to say who made it.. i say its 40 yrs old.. let it die in peace.:)

Old steel cylinders will last just about forever if you take care of them. My wife has a couple of those old Healthways and loves them. We use a tank brush on it yearly to polish out any bloom that may have come from a wet fill and, like the rest of our cylinders, inspect it every four to six months.

Anyone that tells you to dump it without even testing it doesn't know what you have.

Just my $.02

Ray

A buddy of mine has two of these. One of them has an original hydro date of 03/61. The tank markings are ICC 3AA 2250. He had it hydro'd and it passed but I am not sure about the hydro station's ethics. It appears to have a 1/2 tappered thread but when you look closely it looks like there is a shear / or an insert. Is it possible that it was a 3/4" thread with an insert to bring it down to a 1/2 " ???????

The original hydro does not have a plus sign after it but subsequent ones do. Can they put a plus on if it did not have one originally?

Were these tanks originally coated on the inside?

GTADiver once bubbled...
A buddy of mine has two of these. One of them has an original hydro date of 03/61. The tank markings are ICC 3AA 2250. He had it hydro'd and it passed but I am not sure about the hydro station's ethics. It appears to have a 1/2 tappered thread but when you look closely it looks like there is a shear / or an insert. Is it possible that it was a 3/4" thread with an insert to bring it down to a 1/2 " ???????
The original hydro does not have a plus sign after it but subsequent ones do. Can they put a plus on if it did not have one originally?
Were these tanks originally coated on the inside?

GTA,
-According to PSI guidelines, cast iron bushings are not permitted on scuba tanks. I suppose that means if you can show that the bushing is made of other material for high pressure it's okay?
-The "+" test can be done with any hydro and is only valid with the CURRENT hydro. You can do a "+" test on a tank that hasn't had one in 50 yrs, and if it passes, do the 10% overfill.
-There were steel tanks with interior coatings, vinyl in particular. The problem is that you can't see if there's any corrosion underneath it. It is possible to tumble a vinyl coating out of a tank.
Neil

neil once bubbled...

-According to PSI guidelines, cast iron bushings are not permitted on scuba tanks.
Looks like bushings. Its hard to see but when you really look at them you can see it.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom