which is better low pressure or high pressure tanks

what is better steel tanks or alum tanks ? high pressure or low pressure?

• low pressure

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • high pressure

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • steel tanks

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Alum tanks

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes.

No one particular type is best for all applications.

.... low pressure tanks are easier to to blend because you do not have to bring O2 to a higher pressure. High pressure tanks are what I started with and I like their balance and weight.

I don't think there's a single right answer for that. Each has their own place depending upon the diver and their dive environment. I started out using HP tanks but was having trouble getting a full fill at some remote dive shops. I have since changed to LP tanks and always get a full fill. Each have their merits.

Depends on the type of diving, configuration (singles or doubles, wet or dry) and availability of fills at high pressure. IMHO for singles diving there is no better tank than PS HP-120s as long as you can get them filled in where you intend to go diving. I am looking forward to the new super duper Pressed Steel tank but have yet to see one. The local LDS here where I get Nitrox as well as the dive operators I’ve dived with in North Carolina all bank Nitrox at higher pressure so I’ve had no problem.

I am only doing no decompression, no overhead diving. With a HP120, even though I’m somewhat of an air hog, typical SAC 0.7 cfm, I reach the NDL or just get board before I have to surface based on air supply. The HP120 allowed me to drop 6 pounds of lead compared to an AL-80 and weighs about 14 pounds less than the comparable LP tank.

One drawback I've seen is that because of the shape of the tank it tends to make you a bit head heavy.

Personally, I like low pressure. You can always get them filled to a higher pressure and extend your BT. As stated earlier you're able to blend easier with respect to O2 content. Not all air stations are able to accomodate higher pressures required to make the appropriate cu. ft. rating of high pressure tanks. Alot of people dive them, HP tanks, they have their place in ther sport, It's a personal choice...........
Wreck/Tec

Most of my diving is done with LP steel tanks.

But, when i beach dive i prefer to use aluminum tanks. Mostly because i shore dive daily and finding time to get to the LDS isnt always easy. So i was able to buy a bunch of them to keep on hand ready to go.

Also nothing better than having a lite tank at the end of a dive with a long sandy beach walk to the nearest paved area.

well to be honest i started this to get idea and still not decided
thses tanks will be used for manily ocean diving and wreck diving in deeper water like 100 to 130 feet ect with me being what I call air hog , and trying to take some wieght off me still trying to see one of them new psi tanks but noone has them or for that matter a price yet so hope to see them soon sounds like that may be the way to go !!!!!!!

I like low pressure steel the best. They have a smaller change in bouyancy from full to empty-they never go positive (need less weight, easier trim). You can always get a full fill--most whips at air stations are set for the aluminum 80's 3,000 psi and all you need AFTER your tank cools is 2,640psi. I commonly pump my Low pres steels to 3,500 and on a deep long dives to 4,000psi (burst disks are changed). If you read the technical stuff on the tanks they can be cycled to over 4,000psi for thousands of cycles even though the the rating is for 2,640 (extremely conservative rating). I never have trouble getting pumped to 3,000, but talking strangers into pumping to 4,000 is difficult! The downside for me is out of the water. A pair of 131 cu. ft. steels is hard for me to manage on a pitching deck (I'm 6' 170lbs). I usually fill the BC and throw them over the side. On the rear platform of boat I cannot come off my knees to stand unassisted. Mostly now I use a single 112 cu. ft. which at 3,000 psi is 127cu.ft. and at 3,500 is 148 cu.ft. I think the 98's are great too since they are shorter. I use OMS branded tanks (italian?). High Pressure tanks are harder to get a full fill and high pressure air is harder to get. You often have to fill right off compressor since most air banks are lower. Other than cost (re:aluminum), you will be thrilled w/ Low pressure steel!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom