Old LP steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_brand

New
Reaction score
I am looking at assembling a set of Surplus low pressure steel 72 cylinders that are 10-20 years old into a dual rig. Does anyone know what thread size/type may have been used in these cylinders. Many of these cylinders are surplus Canadian Military and I believe working pressure is 2240 PSI.

Jurgen

I don't know exactly when the changeover occurred, but as early as '71 PST was making the 72s, working pressure of 2250, with what is considered the "standard" 3/4 thread for valves.

Roak

My doubles rig is with a set of "old" 72s. I just screwed in an OMS 200bar mainfold, strapped on the band and jumped off the boat! Later this season, I may replace them with E100s and use the 72s as stage bottlers....

Adam

They have an original hydro before I was born and have been great tanks. I like them better than my double 80s. I got a 300 bar Sea Elite and just screwed it in...FWIW, RG Machine makes pretty good bands and the price is definitely right (http://members.aol.com/mrdeco/page/index5.htm) ...I have a set of them on my 72s.

Like Adam, I am thinking about sacrificing a set to the "need a larger set" gods... I am thinking about breaking up my 80s for stages, keeping the 72s for shallow stuff and DMing, and getting a set of 104s or the new E130s..

I was just packing for a dive tomorrow so I took a picture of the two side by side... One of the reasons I like the 72s so much is the size and weight...heck, the buoyancy characteristics ain't bad either.. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom