Aluminum S80 3300psi - which alloy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know what alloy S80 3300psi tanks from 1989 were made from? Just picked up a pair out of hydro for $50 at a yard sale. The cert on the tanks is CTC DOT-3AL 3300 S80 M4002, original hydro 5-89. And are these Catalina tanks? I think they're neutrally buoyant, but am not sure.

6061 t-6 alloy.

Have them hydrostatically retested, get a trained visual cylinder inspector to do a complete inspection, heck...I would even do a eddy current test.

Although Catalina cylinders have not been known to fall into the same catagory of failure as the Luxfer 6351 Alloy cylinders...Sustained Load Cracking...they are susceptable to SSC..Stress Corrosion Cracking...looks alot like SLC, but different reasons for the cracks.

Proper inspection by a TRAINED inspector will let you know the status of the cylinders and then...

DIVE, DIVE, DIVE.

C_C

So are these 1989 S80 tanks the same specs as the post-1993 C80 tanks? Catalina currently lists the S80 tank as 3000psi, and C80 as 3300psi. My tank is marked S80 3300psi - so would it be fair to assume the tanks are the neutrally buoyant ones, same tank as what is now called C80?

Gotta decide now whether or not to double them up - they're a perfect pair, only 3 serial numbers apart. Just smaller than I was hoping to use, but at $25 each... :D

JeffAustin once bubbled...
Ben, when are you going to open your museum ??:) :D :D
I've only got a couple of tanks, some second stages, maybe 6 or 8 spare hoses, 3 spare wetsuits, a couple of old Calypso regs, an old Aquamaster double hose reg, old US Divers manifold from the 60's, and an old US Divers CO2 vest that I don't use....

uhh, maybe it's time to get the digital camera out and eBay some stuff....

....oh wait, that's where I got most of it from :rolleyes:

JeffAustin once bubbled...
you've been picking up some interesting stuff and it sounded like the start of a vintage dive outfit from the early 70's.:) :)
The Calypsos and AquaMaster are keepsakes, but the rest is just accumulated stuff that seems to breed in the closet. The tanks were just an opportunity at a sidewalk sale a quarter block from my house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom