New E-series PST 100s - NICE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
Dove my two new E-100s today..

Wow.

Those who say their balance sucks - you haven't tried one.

Those who argue about their buoyancy characteristics - ditto.

These are the nicest tanks I've had on my back thus far as a diver, bar NONE. More gas, lighter all-up on my kit (tank + weight + rest), a nearly-perfect balance point on my BP that STAYS perfect as the gas is consumed (no "bottom lift" as you get with AL80s), etc.

The new valve that PST is using looks like a Thermo, but has their name on it (PST.) Its also one of the smoothest valves I've seen on a tank, and has a very nice rubber handwheel.

Very, very impressive.....

Took 5lbs off my belt; that was just about perfect. I might be able to remove one more - I'll have to try it next time around (we had a RIPPING current at the surface today - about 3/4 of a knot - very, very tough to make headway against - and I was not inclined to screw around with weighting post-dive as a consequence.)

Genesis,
Nice review - it certainly sounds like you really like your new tanks. I'm glad to hear that as I am planning on purchasing them for my first set of twins. Do you dive them as singles or as a set of twins?

Thanks,

Steve

I’m honestly not trying to be provocative, I just don’t get the hoopla. I have a PST HP100. My wife the HP80. In comparing the specs of our vintage 1998 cylinders to the much-anticipated E series, the differences are negligible.

From their site (rounded):

Current:
· 3500 PSI
· HP80 – 26#, 7.25” X 19.75”
· HP100 – 31#. 7.25” X 24”

From ScubaBoard:

E Series:
· 34-something PSI(different in a few posts)
· HP80 – 26#, 7.3” X 19.75”
· HP100 – 32#, 7.3” X 24”

Is the buzz about the new sizes? In looking at the E Series Specs, for about the same size and another 10 pounds in weight (+.7” dia. and + 1.56” length, and another 10 pounds of weight) I can step into the E8130. So the buzz is wrapped around the new sizes? Is it about getting a lot more gas in around the same weight as the 104's?

Cylinder for cylinder (our 80 and 100) I see no difference. Please ‘splain me.

Thanks -

K

The "old" HP tanks were perfectly fine - if you liked restrictive valve choices, and severe trouble finding manifolds to double them.

The new E-series don't have that problem.

I am currently diving them as singles. BUT, if I choose I can double the HP100s with MY CHOICE of manifold (Sea Elite, etc) without hassle, since they have STANDARD neck threads.

The point here being that going steel used to mean one of two choices, both of which I didn't like;

1. A non-standard neck thread, making valve selection a pain in the tush, as many of the more popular (and IMHO "better") valves were simply not available in the funny neck sizes.

2. HEAVY and non-HP-rated LP tanks, which, while commonly overfilled, were simply not made to be, and had undesirable size characteristics (8" diameter .vs. 7.25".) There's a reason people call them "water heaters" - they are EXTREMELY cumbersome, especially when doubled. Yeah, there is a reason to use them in some situations, like if you'd need 30lbs of weight anyway.

With the E-series, you don't have to make a compromise. Also, the valve that PST is including is, for a single anyway, very, very nice.

My only complaint is their "weasel wording" on O2 compatability. The "sheets" included with the tank state that the valve is assembled with O2-compatable lubricants, and the tank is O2-clean, and then go on to say "40% EANx only". Uh huh. And I'm the Easter Bunny. A CLEAR CYA move on PST's part; why would you bother with the use or expense of Christolube (or Krytox - same thing really) unless the valve was compatable with 100% O2 anyway? Its pointless, unless the materials are compatable with high FO2s, especially when they DO go to the trouble to state that the TANK is suitable for 100%.

And oh, the valve has a placard (which appears to be permanent) that says "Nitrox only" on it! :)

My best guess is that they are simply paying Thermo to stamp "PST" and "Nitrox only" on it, and since Thermo is making them, and PST is not THEMSELVES assembling them, they're simply covering their butt against the possibility of a SUPPLIER shipping them a dirty valve and having an ignition incident as a consequence.

I'm going to tear one down just to see what they're using for a seat and such - it looks to be a Thermo valve, and my suspicion is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and that iin fact both the valve and tank are O2 service-rated from the factory - PST just won't certify the valve, since they didn't make it.

Since I have every intention of PP filling these myself (they were delivered to me full; they are now empty, and will probably never see a dive shop compressor again), this is of some importance to me :)

I didn't know these had funny or non-standard necks. Hmmmm. They came with the Thermo's and have been fine for us for years. Just traded out the plastic knobs for rubber. I need to get Hydro'd in the fall.

I'm a singles guy - so there likely isn't any great attraction, apart from maybe that 130... !!!

Thanks.

K

Genesis,
Thanks for the response. I, like you, think that PST has really done away with any of the "compromises" that they had in their previous tank designs. It sounded like you were using them as singles. Even so, do you have any recommendations for compatible manifolds and bands?

Thanks again,

Steve

I have a Sea Elite manifold that would be perfect for it, and also have a set of bands (will have to look up who made them - its a guy on the east coast who makes them custom) for them as well...

I wanted to dive them as singles first, just to see how many more I want :)

Glad to hear the new tanks are here and have standard neck size. Years ago, I machined a number of Sherwood yoke valves to the weird 7/8-16 neck so I could use them on my HP100's. If I had waited 9 years it wouldn't have been necessary.

The seats and such APPEAR to be just fine for 100%. I have both looked and now PP filled a couple of times without incident.

I wouldn't go so far as to CERTIFY it (since I'm not in the biz and I didn't make the valve in the first place!) but there was no evidence of hydrocarbon residue that I could find (no flourescence), the materials look ok (although determining exactly what the seat is made out of is nearly impossible - so it is POSSIBLE there could be an issue here) and I haven't gone "boom." :)

The valve appears to be a Thermo, both internally and externally, and has a very nice "slow" action.

Back
Top Bottom