1/2" tank valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canuckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
anybody know where I can get a couple of standard yoke (or DIN) valves with a 1/2" straight thread, instead of the 3/4" thread in common use today?

alternatively, is anybody on the board a machinist that would be able to turn the threads down on a couple of valves for me?

thanks all!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
AFAIK the 1/2" valve has a tapered pipe thread... at least the ones I have are.

no, these are standard medical oxygen tanks, they have a CGA valve on them with a half-inch straight thread and I'm trying to convert them over for pony/stage bottle use.

I know a lot of people arround here are taking the standard sheerwood 3/4" and cutting them down to 1/2".

...they have a CGA valve on them with a half-inch straight thread...
Those aren't the disposable bottles are they? I take it they're sealed with an o-ring then, eh?
I never bothered with the little aluminum bottles, the steel ones always seemed so much nicer.

There was for a fleeting moment in time, a half inch straight, o-ring sealed scuba valve. You might have to check the junk pile of an older dive shop to find one.
Neil

Medical O2 tanks have a slightly different thread designation from the old 1/2" straight pipe thread Healthways used for a year or two. The Healthways era predates the current DIN valves by several decades. I'd have to compare the actual specification dimensions on both to determine if they do in fact inrerrchange. Be aware that CGA has historically and intentianally NOT used the same threads as are standard on SCUBA rated bottles for O2 for safety reasoons. This makes it hard to put O2 into a bottle that has been used for SCUBA and may have some oil contamination, thus eliminating the rapidly expanding orange ball at the O2 fill bench. For that reason alone I expect the threads are not the same. Memory places the CGA-870 thread as a 7/8-14UNF, slightly larger than the 1/2" straight pipe (.840 dia) should be, but my CRS says not to trust that number until I can check it.

I have the specs for the current CGA-870 valve straight thread at home, but probably won't be back there until this weekend.

A "standard" DIN valve could be cut down with the aid of a 4 jaw chuck and good threading lathe, or a good CNC mill and thread milling equipment but unless you have the tooling and time to do the job yourself the $s to do that will on a onesy twosey basis will be larger than the $s necessary to buy a similar sized tank with the "correct" thread for a DIN.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom