PST E Series?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbrandon

Contributor
Reaction score
What exactly does the new e series represent? How does it differ from the sport high pressure that PST currently sells? Also, are they readily available now in 100 and 120 or just 100's? Lastly, does anyone have a online link to someone that sells them? Thanks..

Geoff

I spoke at length to my LDS last night about these tanks.

Basically, PST re-rated their LP tanks for HP use. So, a LP95 @ 2640psi is now a HP119 at 3442psi. An LP80 is a HP100, etc. There may be something different about the valves also, but I don't know enough about it to speak intelligently on the subject.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
I spoke at length to my LDS last night about these tanks.

Basically, PST re-rated their LP tanks for HP use. So, a LP95 @ 2640psi is now a HP119 at 3442psi. An LP80 is a HP100, etc. There may be something different about the valves also, but I don't know enough about it to speak intelligently on the subject.

They are different tanks not the same tanks re-rated. the old ones wouldn't pass the DOT tests for HP. That's what the folks at PST told me.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

They are different tanks not the same tanks re-rated. the old ones wouldn't pass the DOT tests for HP. That's what the folks at PST told me.
These are different tanks - the E7-100 for example is not the same as the LP-80, which will still be available. A dealer and I were going through the PST catalog trying to figure out if they were the same tanks or not - these tanks are both available from the same catalog, and have minute differences in specifications like height and weight. Almost identical, but not quite. I was kicking around whether or not to buy two of his LP80s he had on sale, or hold out for some 100s.

But basically the new HP tanks are *equivalent* to the old LP tanks in size - give or take 1/2" or so. There may be different buoyancy characteristics.

Ran by the dive shop Friday when an unexpected opportunity for some extra dives came up... hooked up my LP 95's to what was left in the Nitrox banks and got 2600 in one and about 2400 in the other.. essentially full tanks. Had I had HP's I'd have had to settle for short fills.
My own little personal compressor tops out at just over 3000.
So.... I'll stick with LPs.
E. itajara

Epinephelus once bubbled...
Ran by the dive shop Friday when an unexpected opportunity for some extra dives came up... hooked up my LP 95's to what was left in the Nitrox banks and got 2600 in one and about 2400 in the other.. essentially full tanks. Had I had HP's I'd have had to settle for short fills.
E. itajara
Your "LP-95"s would now be "HP-119"s - so your short fill would still have been around 95cf. There's just extra capacity in the same sized tank - you could pump them to about 104 at home @3000, and not be exceeding the rated pressure. It would certainly eliminate the hassles with getting an overfill.

Or do what I do, and just keep taking my LP95 to an LDS where they see the DIN valve and assume it's a HP tank, and pump it to 3000+ without even checking the rating :wink:

Epinephelus once bubbled...
E. itajara

Why? It sounds that you can get an essentially equivalent tank that you can reliably fill to just over 3000 instead of 2600. You won't get a "complete" fill, but what's the difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom