My little twin 72s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I put together a set of steel 72s a couple of weeks ago and I just love them! They are sooo light and trim out perfectly.

For single tank rec dives I had borrowed a couple of LP104s from a friend (all of ours are doubled up and filled with mix.)

Then, since I had a some lp steel 72s that were not being used for argon I started diving them as singles.

Then I decided to go ahead and double them up.

Well they are just sweet! I have a 10# V weight between them and that is more than enough total weight with the 6# SS backplate.

Today I will dive them that way and Friday I will take the V weight off and dive with an 8# belt just to see which I prefer.

But the best part is this:

Yesterday I only filled them to 1500psi since I wanted to get them down to 500psi at the end of the dive to play around with weighting.

We did a 52 minute dive (max 128') and I was able to get them to 500psi (down to 450psi by the time I finished playing with the weights.)

I can do two dives with these little guys filled to 2500. But better yet... I can still do one dive even if my nitrox bank is down to 1500psi.

Using the single LP104s I always refilled the bank when the highest bottle got down to 2500 psi.

Since the 3 cylinder nitrox bank is at 3700psi when full... that means far fewer compressor starts per month.

I'm really happy with these little guys.

I'm putting togerther a set of 72's myself, and have been told that they are too small, but I love them!

glad to see I'm not the only one :wink:

Double 72s are nice, we used them all the time when I worked on Andros. They're small but for lite tech or recreational they're fine.

My only suggestion is to have them checked real well as some of these suckers have been around for a loooong time.

WW

I don't know why it took me so long to come around to this. One of my first dive buddies told me that his favorite set up as a navy diver was the double 72s!

I probably shouldn't have posted this cause now I will have a harder time picking up a few more cheap on ebay :wink:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

[snip]

Well they are just sweet! I have a 10# V weight between them and that is more than enough total weight with the 6# SS backplate.

[snip]

I'm really happy with these little guys.

I'm pretty sure Walter sings the praises of twin 72's as well.

So... are those going to be your "Sunday Doubles"?

wb

dmdalton turned me onto them last year and I picked up a set that has original hydros before I was born!

I love them too...I dive them more often than my double 80s I like them so much. They are a little shorter, a little lighter on dry land, and don't turn positive like the 80s do at the end of the dive.

Welcome to the double 72 club, UP!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Seems much less than a set of 104s. :D

Ya think :D

I just found a couple on ebay that are located north of me but will need a hydro, possibly tumble and a visual. The buy it now price is 25.00 ea but might end much cheaper. I was just wondering how much heavier double 72's would be compared to my single Faber LP95. I have everything i need to double up my 95's but dont think they would be to good for beach diving due to the weight.

Also what do you guys use for a manifold as im thinking the older 72's use the taper threads.

Back
Top Bottom