Tank comparisons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandfill

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help here.
I remember seeing a chart that compared different manufacturers tanks LP,HP, with all the specs.
dimensions,weights and buoyancy
Can anyone direct me to where that may have been. I'm not sure if it was on this site or a dive mag. But I can't seem to find it again. Any suggestions?

At least none that are reliable!
Tank buoyancy characteristics numbers from manufacturers - and from various manuals, spec sheets, internet sites & magazine articles - are universally bad. If you want to know the true buoyancy characteristics of a tank then put it in the water and measure it.
Personally, whenever I get a new tank I put 500 psi of air in it, take it to the pool and
(1) if it floats, see how much weight it takes to sink it
(2) if it sinks, see how much weight it takes to balance it (I have a homemade balance that hangs from my diving board).
Then I write the weighting numbers down on my weighting sheet in my logbook. From these base numbers I can calculate buoyancy accurately depending on what I'm carrying in (mix & amount) and attaching to (valves, bands, regs etc) the tanks.
Rick

Padipro once bubbled...
Try this site.

Tank Specs

Scott
Looked at it - some numbers look good, some don't.
My PST 95's, for example, are 11 pounds negative each at 500 psi with "H" valves - and I know the "H" valve and 500 psi isn't 10 of it!
Like I said, if you really want to know, you'd better measure it yourself!
Rick

It seems like every chart shows different buoyancy characteristics for my Faber LP95 tanks.

I have seen three different versions for mine as follows

1. 0.00 lbs empty
2. -1.5 empty
3. +2.5 empty

jeez what gives here. I know for a fact that my tank will float with about 200 psi in it. Where do these numbers come from?

OK, Try this one then. LOL

Tank Specs

Scott

Thanks, thats what I as looking for.
I'm trying to decide between PST LP80 or the newer neutrally buoyant AL80's. Anyones input appreciated

Well, I think that is more like steel vs. aluminum. What type of diving are you doing? Are you wearing a wetsuit or drysuit? Are you a recreational diver, not too deep, just relatively shallow stuff???

I would say that a steel tank is better than aluminum as far as buoyancy and capacity. But there is a little price difference. Depends where you are...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom