remove spray paint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're talking about Krylon or similar spray paint, it can be removed with acetone. Why use a harsh paint stripper which may damage the tank's original finish? Of course, you didn't say what the finish is.

pescador775 once bubbled...
Why use a harsh paint stripper which may damage the tank's original finish? Of course, you didn't say what the finish is.

Aircraft Stipper won't damage a tank's finish . . . it will obliterate it darn near instantly.

When I am not sure of a finish and I want to remove paint or adhesive, I start with mineral spirits, and if that doesn't do anything, I move up to laquer thinner or acetone.

If the tanks you're talking of stripping are Al, you might consider having them hydro'ed after you get done repainting them. There have been some real horror stories about changing the properties of the Al through various treatments and painting. At the very least you need to tell the LDS where you get them filled what you have done so they can make the choice to fill them or not.

PROVIDED you do not:

1. use HEAT
or
2. use MECHANICAL (e.g. sandblasting, sanding, etc)

means to remove paint, and do not get the stripper INSIDE the tank (which would be bad for YOU, not the shop) its perfectly fine.

Chemical strippers, in fact, are the only acceptable way to remove paint from an AL tank. You must also NOT use heat to "cure" any replacement paint. Heat WILL change the metallurgical properties of an aluminum tank to the point that it is unsafe.

A re-hydro is not necessary unless there has been mechanical or heat stress to the tank in the process. If there has been heat stress then the tank is junk even if it passes hydro, as the changes that this causes may not cause the tank to fail a hydro inspection even though it has been rendered unsafe.

Aircraft paint stripper is MADE for use on Aluminum - that's what most aircraft skins are made out of!

In most cases a sprayed-on logo cannot be properly removed from a painted surface. If you manage to get it off (there was no chemical bonding between the paint layers) there will usually be a "shadow" where the painted-on thing was, that will still show what was previously there!

The best bet is to strip the tank entirely; if they're Aluminum (and it probably is if they were former dive shop tanks) just strip it bare and use them that way. I frankly think that the "bare" finish holds up better cosmetically than paint anyway; only Catalina does a reasonably-decent (read: durable) job with their factory paint on AL tanks, and you will not be able to duplicate their work easily if at all.

At school, we have mared tanks with everything we can imagine....nothing seems to stay for more than a year....

Damn chlorine....we'll be glad to service the tank markings for you...so long as you don't mind parting with the tank for a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom