Luxfer Trade-In and Old Tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KilgoreTrout

Registered
Reaction score
I need to know if my tank was originally made by Luxfer though it was stamped Dacor.

The serial number is P213373 and original hydro is '78.

According to Luxfer's FAQ:
http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/faq/scuba2003.shtml#q6

This tank is probably Luxfer. Can anyone verify this? I would love to get rid of a dangerous tank especially if someone gives me money for it! :)

Also, has anyone had any luck with this trade in program yet?

Thanks in advance.

Could you give us all the markings on the cylinder, including any "funny" symbols like arrows pointing up, etc.

Roak

There is an Up arrow between the month/year of the first hydro. It is marked 3AL-DOT E6498 3000. Luxfer is no where to be found on the bottle. Or maybe I am not looking in the right place, i.e. someplace silly like the bottom.

I also found out that it is a 6351 from the following:

http://www.scubabomb.freeservers.com/List.htm

I have emailed Luxfer to see if I am eligible for the Trade-In.

Regardless, this is a tank that is now empty and will be killed one way or another.

KilgoreTrout once bubbled...

This tank is probably Luxfer. Can anyone verify this? I would love to get rid of a dangerous tank especially if someone gives me money for it! :)

just to clear something up. those tanks are not dangerous, the alloy they are made of has a higher chance of developing structural problems over _very_ long use time.

I've looked into this since i have one of those tanks. It is easy to spot the cracks during visual inspection and even if they are there it takes about 6 years to actually lead to a problem (ie. the tank had to be inspected 6 times in a row and 6 times inspection would have to miss the cracks before it would become a real problem).

there is somewhere a longish thread on this topic somewhere on scubaboard. I think there are only 15 or so reported cases of those tanks exploding. each of them had a very, very poor maintenance and compared to sheer numbers of them sold worldwide and the length of time they were produced.. that's nothing :)

A 25yr old tank made of a material that is known to have problems...

I have only had the tank for a year and don't know how it was treated in the past.

I don't need this tank that much. It is not worth the $30 to hydro to me, so let's hope Luxfer gives me $50 for it!

Good Day and Thanks for the help.

I had two 80's vintage got $50 a piece now I have two new luxfer 80 nitrox tradem in.

...so let's get this straight:

.....get a $50 voucher toward a new tank, but spend about $50 on freight/packing materials/box/ labors hours preparing/lugging it to the LDS or UPS office for shipment.

.......I guess I'm missing the point?

.......wouldn't be be simpler to just put it in the aluminum can recycle bin ? .....heck, here they pick up recyclables curbside weekly.

Karl

My LDS is only charging $8.00 for shipping back to Luxfer. One of the distributors is offering their discounted shipping rates to their dive shop customers. You might check with your LDS.

...well, per :

http://www.recycle.net/price/metals.html

Aluminum scrap's current price = $ 0.71 / lb ....so an AL 80 @ 32 lbs is worth $ 22.72......so you're giving that up by trading it in, plus your $8...so you're now @ about $31 ......so the trade in only puts you ahead about $19. And not all of us can get an $8 shipping deal @ our LDS.

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom