Hoop wrap tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hunter991

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone know anything about tanks that luxfer is making for scuba now called "hoop wrap tank". Saw them in a catalog. They are aluminum tanks with a partial kevlar wrap, they have a service life of 15 years and pretty good buoyancy numbers. The 106 ft3 is only 24" tall and has a service pressure of almost 4500psi. Just wanted to see if anyone has seen them in person yet..

Brent

.....so, where can you get a 4500 psi fill ?

......@ the typical 3000 psi you only get 70 cu. ft of gas........plus the 'hoop wrap tank' per the Luxfer WWW site is wider, heavier, and just as long as an AL 80......and more expensive.

.......I'm still trying to understand the logic behing the' hoop wrap tank'......other than to make more money for Luxfer by having tanks that 'self-destruct' in 15 years.

Karl

I know that XS Scuba is marketing them. Your LDS should be able to get one in for a look-see. As has been said, you may have difficulty finding a shop who will do a 4350 fill. Of course, even at 3300, you'll still have 80cu ft in the 106 cylinder. Then you have to hydro it every three years. And it's DIN (no argument from me...I like DIN), so you'll have some added expense to convert your regs (unless there's a DIN insert for the valve, which I don't know). If you're using it for nitrox, I don't know whether you'll have trouble getting fills if your shop still does partial pressure blending in the tank. Someone else can address that question.

The specifications are here for anyone who is interested. I suppose it's possible that this cylinder is the 21st century giant leap forward in cylinder design (like aluminum was a few decades back).

I have no problem getting fills up to 4500 psi so that isn't a problem. I would probably have to use air with these tanks as I think getting a nitrox fill would probably be tricky. My understanding is that they only have to be hydro'd every 5 years, just like regular tanks. And I already use Din so that isn't a problem either. I am probably going to buy high pressure 120's instead of these but just curious what everyone thought. I will probably pick one of these up eventually.

The logic as I see it is alot more gas in the same size package. It seems really nice for woman to get into a smaller tank with more gas as well.

Brent

There are composite SCBA tanks that only have to be retested every 5 years. Still have the 15 year lifespan though.

I was getting an air fill at my LDS and they have them in stock, i was looking them Saturday.

here is the link to the shop.

http://www.diversdiscount.com/resources/frameset-cat.asp?cat=Tanks

Personally i dont like the 4500 psi working pressure tanks, i am all about LP. Try taking a local dive boat trip in SO. Cal and getting a good fill, your not going to!

IMHO the tank is useless for So Cal diving. I am sure it has its place, but not around here.

Andy

I saw those at DEMA, the price tag for a "disposable tank" scared me off.
... having tanks that 'self-destruct' in 15 years ...
Interspiro/Divator has some Kevlar composites that are good for a quoted 40 year life span. I don't think you'll be seeing those in the US anytime soon though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom