Did I get ripped off????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiver85

Contributor
Reaction score
So I brought my 1 year old PST HP 100 tank to get a VIP. This was a Nitrox tank, purchased brand new and o2 cleaned from the shop a year ago. I was charged $40 for the O2 cleaning and $12 for VIP. Is that right?

tbg once bubbled...
So I brought my 1 year old PST HP 100 tank to get a VIP. This was a Nitrox tank, purchased brand new and o2 cleaned from the shop a year ago. I was charged $40 for the O2 cleaning and $12 for VIP. Is that right?
That is cheap for down here...standard charges down here (Wash DC area) are $50 for o2 cleaning a tank/valve and about $20 for a VIP.

tbg once bubbled...

So did they charge you to O2 clean the tank a second time? or are you just getting a visual done?

lal7176 once bubbled...

So did they charge you to O2 clean the tank a second time? or are you just getting a visual done?
AFAIK, places down here want to redo the o2 cleaning after the VIP or any time the valve is removed.. I think that is SOP for dive shops, but I can only comment on the VA/NC area...

Well that sucks i was under the impression that O2 cleaning was a one time thing unless it was somehow got contaminated by not using the proper grade air. My tanks are due next month for a visual. Ill be darned if im gonna pay for another O2 cleaning. Luckily there is a shop where i dive that has banked 32% NOX instead of partial pressure filling.

lal7176 once bubbled...
Well that sucks i was under the impression that O2 cleaning was a one time thing unless it was somehow got contaminated by not using the proper grade air. My tanks are due next month for a visual. Ill be darned if im gonna pay for another O2 cleaning. Luckily there is a shop where i dive that has banked 32% NOX instead of partial pressure filling.
Your shop may not do that, but I know some here that do.

I took PSI's class. You do NOT need to re-clean a tank after a vis. I would wonder how they would have responded that it was filled with only their air.

I just had a VIP done on my two nitrox (o2-cleaned) tanks and they did not re-clean them. It was $11 for a VIP and fill.
That doesn't sound right to me.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
I just had a VIP done on my two nitrox (o2-cleaned) tanks and they did not re-clean them. It was $11 for a VIP and fill.
That doesn't sound right to me.
That's dirt cheap...$11 for a VIP and a nitrox fill or an air fill? Nitrox fills here are about $8. The cheapest shop I know of around here charges about $12 for a VIP and o2 cleaning is $50 pretty much anywhere you take it..

Back
Top Bottom