XS Scuba Worthington Tanks opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivobj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dears, I am planning to assemble a set of double cylinders with XS Scuba Worthington X8-119 Cylinders, does anyone have any experience with them that could either recommend them or say "stop, don't do it"? I am specially worried about corrosion resistance, external and internal, as my plan B would be the Genesis 120, for which I have very good references on corrosion resistance.

Thanks, Ivo

are the Genesis tanks still made by Ashai (sp?) and made from Spun Steel? Some folks here would reccomend staying away from them because the way they are made and also because they are heavier.

I think most folks here would reccomend the Worthington over the Genesis tanks.

As for other reccomendations on the Worthingtons, when you order them make sure to tell them that you are using them for doubles. why? because often tanks (regardless of who makes them) come out of the foundry with a minor difference in height. (a fraction of an inch). For singles this doesn't matter, however for doubles it causes a slight issue if the difference is really big because of the manifold that goes across the top.

People that didn't specify this have had to get the dealer to re-order the tanks a second time because the initial set they got was so mis-matched.

I own 6 worthingtons and wouldn't buy anything other than. Corrosion on the outside will not be an issue. If for some reason they rust then send them back to XS, no questions asked. Rust on the inside, take care of them and it won't be an issue.

Worthington’s are the best tanks out there. Hot-dip galvanized external finish I have never heard of rust on them. And the ways they are made with pressing the size are the same.

I own three Worthington LPs...90% of my dives are saltwater. I've never seen rust on any of them. (I do rinse them breifly with the hose after each dive).

I have never understood the appeal of X8-119's. X8-130's are only 1 pound heavier and 1 inch longer, but carry 131.4 cu ft of gas versus 123. When doubled, that is only 2 pounds more weight for 17 cu ft more gas. Given the minimal differences, why go with the smaller tank?

I have never understood the appeal of X8-119's. X8-130's are only 1 pound heavier and 1 inch longer, but carry 131.4 cu ft of gas versus 123. When doubled, that is only 2 pounds more weight for 17 cu ft more gas. Given the minimal differences, why go with the smaller tank?

Because when I bought my 119s I didn't have the extra $120 to upgrade them to 130s. :mooner: Looking back I should have just paid the money, but....oh well.

The 119s make decent doubles, although they might be slightly head-heavy if you are a tall guy. They are essentially equivalent to LP95s in physical dimensions.

Worthington’s are the best tanks out there. Hot-dip galvanized external finish I have never heard of rust on them. And the ways they are made with pressing the size are the same.
While this is your opinion, it might not be 100% correct for everyone. :wink:

Plenty of people prefer Faber cylinders, especially for cave diving -- fresh water, no rusting issues, and they tend to be lighter (Worthington LP95s weigh 42lbs empty, Faber LP95s weigh 37lbs empty) so you aren't walking down to the water wearing as much. In the example above, the cylinders hold ~equivalent amounts of air but a set of double Faber LP95s would weigh 10lbs less than the Worthington LP95s.

PST cylinders have a fantastic hot-dipped galvanized finish but unfortunately they are no longer in business. Grab 'em if you can find them!

Worthington makes great cylinders if you can get them in the same size. If you watch the video they have on how they manufacture cylinders, you'll see they actually cut the pieces of steel after pressing in an attempt to make them a uniform length. Even so, they are still sometimes off by as much as 1/2" in height for the same size cylinder.

When I bought my X8-119s, the dive shop specifically told XS Scuba that they were for doubles, but they did order 3-4 of them if I recall. We went through them all to try and find the two that were best matched in height.

Worthington makes great cylinders if you can get them in the same size. If you watch the video they have on how they manufacture cylinders, you'll see they actually cut the pieces of steel after pressing in an attempt to make them a uniform length. Even so, they are still sometimes off by as much as 1/2" in height for the same size cylinder.

And how do you think that Faber and others make their steel tanks? I've never seen two tanks randomly pulled that were exactly the same length.

And how do you think that Faber and others make their steel tanks? I've never seen two tanks randomly pulled that were exactly the same length.

I wasn't implying that Worthington is the only one who does this, or that they are the only one with sizing issues (however, when they were first starting out, I know they seemed to have more issues with it than other companies). I've seen multi-sized Faber and PST cylinders as well. Luxfer doesn't really seem to have any issues with sizing -- perhaps it has something to do with how they are made?

Several of my dive buddies have PST 130s. If you look at them all side by side you can see the neck area is formed slightly different on some cylinders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom