are 135's just too big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jwood

Contributor
Reaction score
Someone stated I may have some probs with dive boats not being able to secure in their racks....and thoughts would be appreciated

?

sorry guess that would help.......singles to start...but would it even be feasible to double them later

.......too big for what? .....I assume you're aware of the weight ? ........doubles? you're kidding, right?

......you might want to rent the largest steel tank you can find, to see what you're in for, otherwise I'm afraid you'll be making a very expensive mistake.

By the way, I own and dive Faber LP 120's (as singles) and I just took delivery of a brand new set of OMS doubles (LP steel 85's).......so I'm somewhat familiar with bigger-than-average tanks.

I'm happy with the capacity of both configurations, but personally am not interested in anything bigger, especially for boat diving......I test dove for 6 dives a doubles set of OMS LP 95's, in the water they are fine, but just too much weight on land...and god-forbid I should ever have to climb back aboard a boat with twin LP 95's........so I went with the next size 'down' and I think they're just 'light' enough to be managable, especially on a boat.

Karl

I tend to be NDL limited at most depths with my 120s. I imagine the same would be true of the 135s.

I have met guys who could probably handle double 135s. They are big guys though.

The new E series is probably just the ticket for you.

Peter

I have only one friend with 135s.We put them together and I remember them being very heavy .He wears them as doubles only for really long cave dives.Unless you are as big as this fella 6'5" 290 I doubt that big a tank would be comfortable.I've settled on LP95s as they are shorter and hold enough air as singles to allow me to reach minor deco.Any more time on the bottom and we wear doubles.They don't fit most racks but most LP tanks don't fit .I used a Pelican rack for a coupla years but they corrode fast.I lay single tanks down forward on my boat and doubles are strapped to the center console.A better solution to air consumption is to 1.Dive more2.Good cardiovascular conditioning and 3.Did I mention dive more:).

I double up oms 125's, they are a lot lighter than pst. They weigh in the neighborhood of 125 lbs full with a 20 lb shift in weight from full to empty. In the water you dont notice them, on land they are heavy and when you hand carry them (not on your backplate) they are an experience in misery. Not as much the weight as trying to keep a good grip on them without tearing up your hands or other bodily parts. Do i need that much tank? no but I got a good deal on them. Staying within the ndl's of my computer I can make 4 dives to 112', averaging 30 min per dive. Another example was a 112 ft dive (max) with a majority of time in 30 ft I spent 2.5 hours underwater and started with 1900 psi. If you get that much tank you are going to be needing some training in decompression or you will be using the same airfill for 3 - 4 dives. It is highly recomended by the pros to dive a double set like that in a drysuit. As far as being able to handle the weight, I am 5' 4" and 160 lbs. I dont have problems with them but I also hit the gym pretty hard to ensure I wont have any problems.Hope this will help you with planning your purchase.

Many dive boats are set up with racks for 7.25" tanks and may not be able to accomodate 8.00" tanks. 135cf tanks are whoppers and you may well experience some weight and trim issues, as well. I'd suggest trying one in a pool before you buy - it maybe easier (though more expensive) to double a couple of smaller tanks.

Steven

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom