Whitey Needle Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

What is the advantage of a Whitey Needle Valve versus regular valve when filling oxygen partial pressure method?

Is the Whitey Needle Valve really mandatory because of safety concerns? Can't the other valve be opened very slow?

Thank you

compressor once bubbled...
Hello:

What is the advantage of a Whitey Needle Valve versus regular valve when filling oxygen partial pressure method?

Is the Whitey Needle Valve really mandatory because of safety concerns? Can't the other valve be opened very slow?

Thank you

Yep a ball valve... like the one on the 8.5 cubic meter supply cylinder your oxygen probably came in... can be opened slowly, but the flow cannot be controlled enough to limit the possibility of Adiabatic Compression... and since a needle valve is cheap and readily available... Whitey is only one brand... and since the end results of accelerated combustion are so nasty, use a needle valve and while you're at it, ask the people from whom you are buying your hardware to provide you with ALL the suitable fittings for oxygen delivery... it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Doppler

Thankyou for the reply.

Is $55 a good price for a needle valve?

I've noteced some really good deals on e-bay for sutiable needle valves but localy and through direct purchas 55 is about average.

compressor once bubbled...
Thankyou for the reply.

Is $55 a good price for a needle valve?

You're welcome mate... and "No" $55 sounds a little high... I haven't had to purchase one for about a year, but at that time I got one for a friend's fill whip set-up and I seem to remember paying $25 or maybe $27 for a very good model (bonnet, straight flow, O2 compatible)

Take care and good luck

Outstanding advice. Grateful to all of you;
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom