Aluminum Oxide Tumbling Chips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDiver07866

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this in the DIY forum, but thought I might get some bites here.. Any help would be appreciated..

I got quoted a few places for $6 bucks a pound. I read that you need ~20lbs to tumble a tank $120 total for media?

I also found on McMaster they sell it pretty cheap, but I don’t know what size. Any recommendations on size/mesh?

Thanks for the help. I’m building a tumbler and before I start just want to know how to get my hands on media.

Thanks all

McMaster-Carr

Aluminum Oxide Grit
18-50 36
25-70 46
35-100 60/70
35-100 60
45-140 80
70-270 120
70-270 120
80-325 150
80-400 180
100-450 220
120-450 220

Coarse, like 36 or 46 grit is what I have and use. The finer stuff is basically like dust, you want chip-like bits similar to the size of the salt stuck on big pretzels.

BTW glass beads are a good alternative to AL oxide but cut less/slower.

I don't use 20lbs per tank, more like 8lbs for me, about 1/3rd full (a WAG, never weighted my media). But I tilt the tank to clean the crown and bottom vs. trying to get those areas by filling it 3/4 full of media.

Be real careful buying chips from a non-scuba supplier unless you know exactly what you are getting. Some chips that sound the similar in the catalog description just aren't, and due to size or shape can be very difficult to get in and especially out of the tank, which can be incredibly irritating.

small stones work fine if you aren't in a hurry. According to PSI's Bill High, they take about twice as long which shouldn't really be much of a problem for a non-shop tumbler, but the price is right.

Back
Top Bottom