Information about the Luxfer recall / exchange 6351 alloy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently purchased a few tanks used, and ended up with Luxfers dated 1982, 1988, and 1993 (got a really good price on them, so...) I know that there was a problem with the alloy used in some of the tanks from the 80's, but I can't find the exact date ranges anywhere. Does anyone know when the problem tanks started and ended production? If one (or two) of the tanks that I have fall in the date range, what would be the responsible course of action - to err on the side of caution and make wind chimes out of them (in which case I still got a good deal on the one or two remaining, so not a big loss) or to continue using them and cross my fingers that I don't end up being responsible for blowing half of my LDS apart if one of them unzips on them during fill?

A short lesson in Luxfer tanks is...not short enough to post here and I don't want the liability to your estate, anyway. ;}

Take the tanks in for a visual inspection and tell them that you just bought the tanks and that you want to make certain that they're okay. They can check for withdrawn certifications as part of the VIP. Don't be suprised if they order a hydro.

Or, you can visit the Luxfer Gas Cylinders website and see what information they have posted. You may have to email them with serial numbers and tank specs to get a definitive answer.

Keep on diving safe!

Steven

6351 is the older alloy that has a shorter life span than the newer 6061 alloy, at least in theory since 6061 hasn’t been around nearly as long as 6351.

6351 is not dangerous, if it was the DOT would pull the permit for it to be used in the US.

The reason it’s not dangerous is that impending failure can be detected literally years in advance by a good visual inspection (note the word “good” in that sentence). The stress cracks in the neck can be seen and the cylinder removed from service long before it kabooms. A Visual Plus isn’t even necessary, but does make the inspection process easier.

To answer your question, the 82 is 6351, the 88 is probably 6351 (I’d give it a 99% chance, since I think the transition for 6351 to 6061 for Luxfer AL80s were in the 89-90 range) and the 93 is 6061.

Roak

Ps. I’m assuming that these are AL80s.

They are AL80's - the tanks were hydro'd and viz+'d before they were shipped to me, and I did have my LDS do another viz when they got here - interestingly enough, he said that the two older tanks looked brand new, it was the newer tank that had a small spot of corrosion on the bottom and a little in the threads (the neck was brass-brushed and all was good with that.) Thanks for the replies!

Lemmesee, shipping the cylinder to Luxfer will cost $20-$30, you get back $50.

Hardly seems worth it, which probably why Luxfer is being so "generous." Maybe if you just have to slap a label on the cylinder it'll be a bit cheaper.

Roak

Luxfer Gas Cylinders
Technical Bulliten
October 17, 2002

Dates by models when Luxfer changed the aluminum alloy in its scuba tanks from 6351-T6 to Luxfer's proprietary 6061-T6 alloy.

Scuba tank model.................................Date of alloy change

S808..................................................................5/87

S72....................................................................8/87

S100..................................................................8/87

S80....................................................................1/88

S50....................................................................4/88

S92....................................................................4/88

S30....................................................................5/88

S63....................................................................5/88

S40....................................................................6/88

This information relates only to cylinders manufactured in the U.S. Cylinders manufactured in Australia are subject to different dates.

Good luck...

C_C

After surfing Luxfer's website yesterday I found news item for 2003 about a $50 voucher in exchange for any 6351 scuba tank starting in 2003.

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20021022.shtml

My question is this worth it for the average diver with an old tank? I would guess I would be able to purchase these older alloy tanks for a song on ebay after this goes into effect.

Very cool!:D

I raised this a few weeks ago, somebody pointed out that the shipping of the tank to Luxfer is at your own expense. Do the math. So unless you live near the factory, probably not worthwhile.

...detracts from this $50. Looking at some of the threads here, it seems that the dive shops who refuse to fill these old tanks (even though they are fit for use) may become even more stingy as time goes on. Maybe the $50 is better than keeping an un-fillable tank around.:hour:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom