Help on a pony without DOT stamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was given a slightly used pony bottle bought in Asia. Its due for a hydro but it can't be undertaken due to a missing DOT stamp on the neck. Its not needed in Asia but mandatory here.

Its now in limbo and risk becoming a door stopper unless I find a way to get it stamped.

Any suggestion on what I can do? Thanks.

I mean, it can also be used as a vase, if you chop the neck off. Or maybe the first in a set of really cool wind chimes. :D

Sorry - we're having some fun, but yeah - you're out of luck. Personally, I don't believe you should dive with a pony anyway, but in this case - you can't dive with this particular one anyway.

I was trying to be nice. Hey, I finally have some information in this little head that is useful. I need to share. :D

I just hope you didn't pay too much for it. Without make model and specs it's hard to do the vis, and if there is any damage done, trying to find the specs could be next to impossible without any markings.

It can't be legally hydroed without the DOT stamp.
That won't stop some home brewer from using it though.
If you want to have it hydroed but not stamped as such, I can have it done out here. You just won't be able to find anyone to fill the critter for you unless you just want to use a crossover or tank equalizer & fill it yourself.
You might want to ebay the critter, but be sure you use full disclosure about its status.
How much ya want for it?

It was a gift and I still have the piece of paper that came with it somewhere in my manuals folder.

Thought of sending it back to a friend in Asia, have him sell it there and then use the money to buy another one here :wink:

The standards in Asia may be different, honestly I don't know. Your friend may be able to use it.

How do you know it is a SCUBA tank? It could be meant for other compressed gasses. Who made it and what are the markings on it? The board gurus can then tell you if it's meant for SCUBA or something else.

It was bought from a LDS in Asia. The accompanying brochure says the same. The brand CGI was well known for Scuba tanks, until they were acquired by Luxfer.

everyone else is right. I run the Hydro Machine @ my store and you are out of luck. If it is still new then Ebay it back to someone in asia....

then buy a new one in your home country...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom