good price for AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats a loaded question. I think it depends what area of the country you are in, how old the cylinder is, what type of alloy it is made of, if it is in current hydro and vip...

For instance, we sell off our used rental cylinders every year, and we sell them for $105. They are in current visual and hydro, with boot and dust cap, and sometimes mesh. These cylinders are the newer alloy, which is not susceptible to sustained load cracking of the neck threads.

So, basically, its a tough call... I have heard of people buying brand new tanks in some parts of FL for $125. We sell them new up here in MA for $175. So, it really depends. If the cylinder was made before 1988, I would pass, as eventually, its going to fail visual inspection.

Can you give us any more info on the age and condition of the cylinder???

Actually I was not looking at a specific tank...
I live about an hour from the nearest
dive shop and was thinking of getting a used tank
for convenience sake and just kind of wanted
to know what the market was for used AL80s.....

How would I know if a tank is made of a newer
alloy (or is this a could question to use my search
button for)?

Although I love owning my own tanks and wish you the same happiness I have a quesiton.

You say that you want to get it cuz you live so far from the LDS. But wouldn't you still have to go to the LDS to get it filled? Just a thought. Anyway, how much is the tank and how old is it? Is it in current vis and hydro?

where will you be getting the tank filled? if its at the shop that is an hour away, check with them and see what they have. most of the time if you buy a new tank from a LDS they give you free air fills which when you add it up, you save money in the long run.

steve

The reason I wanted my own tank is so I would
not have to worry when the dive shop open/close
to pick up and return the tanks.....the 2 shops
I go to most often are not open until noon or one
pm on sunday so it kills an early morning dive
unless i get the tank saturday....with my own
i can get it filled whenever i am in the neighboorhood...no worries

with that i would say check with both of the shops that you go to and see which one has the best deal on a new tank, with free air fills and buy it from them. that way you will have a full tank when your ready to go and then take it back and get it filled for free when you have time. when you check on the price at the shops, if they dont say anything about free fills, ask them do they give them when you buy a new tank. most shops do but some i have been around dont mention it unless you ask about it. like i say, in the long run you will pay less for a new tank if they give free fills than you would if you buy a used tank.

steve

DivemasterSteve--thanks for the input. I actually think
one of the shops is planning a sale soon....maybe
they will have some tanks included

good luck in getting one, maybe someone from your area will also post here what an average price of a used tank would be. that way you can see what would be best for you.

steve

At Bird's Underwater in Crystal River.

At this price it is hard to justify even looking at used tanks unless they are a smokin deal.

American Pro also sells AL80s at the same price.

Back
Top Bottom